Problem with "file delete"

Frans Houweling

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00

I get this strange error:

error deleting "C:/xxxx:": file already exists
while executing
"file delete -force $curDir"

and I can't figure out why. In what kind of circumstances this happens?
I use Tcl8.3.2 on Windows NT.

Thank you very much
---------------------
Frans Houweling <houw...@databankgroup.it>

Jeffrey Hobbs

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
to houw...@databankgroup.it
Frans Houweling <houw...@databankgroup.it> writes:

> I get this strange error:
>
> error deleting "C:/xxxx:": file already exists
> while executing
> "file delete -force $curDir"
>
> and I can't figure out why. In what kind of circumstances this happens?
> I use Tcl8.3.2 on Windows NT.

Are you trying to delete the directory that you are currently
in? Even -force has limits that don't allow this (or rather,
the underlying OS has limits that don't allow this).

Jeff

Cameron Laird

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
In article <vx1yvtu...@scriptics.com>,

I've got a backlog of [file ...] strangenesses
like this I want to correct some day. At the
very least, I have a belief that we can improve
the diagnostics a great deal. Think how much
farther along Mr. Houweling would be if the
message had been
error ...: directory in use ...
rather than
error ...: file already exists
--

Cameron Laird <cla...@NeoSoft.com>
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

Jeffrey Hobbs

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
cla...@starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:

> In article <vx1yvtu...@scriptics.com>,
> Jeffrey Hobbs <ho...@scriptics.com> wrote:
> >Frans Houweling <houw...@databankgroup.it> writes:
> >
> >> I get this strange error:
> >>
> >> error deleting "C:/xxxx:": file already exists
> >> while executing
> >> "file delete -force $curDir"
> >>
> >> and I can't figure out why. In what kind of circumstances this happens?
> >> I use Tcl8.3.2 on Windows NT.
> >
> >Are you trying to delete the directory that you are currently
> >in? Even -force has limits that don't allow this (or rather,
> >the underlying OS has limits that don't allow this).
>

> I've got a backlog of [file ...] strangenesses
> like this I want to correct some day. At the
> very least, I have a belief that we can improve
> the diagnostics a great deal. Think how much
> farther along Mr. Houweling would be if the
> message had been
> error ...: directory in use ...
> rather than
> error ...: file already exists

Sure, that would be good, and there have been cases where we've
worked to improve error messages (like in 'load' and 'proc').
However, in commands that interface with fs calls, it may be that
we are getting the above error message direct from the OS. I'm
not sure about the above, I can't repeat it. If I try to delete
the dir I'm in on Win2k, I get:

(deleteme) 45 % cd C:/tmp
(tmp) 46 % mkdir deleteme
(tmp) 47 % cd deleteme/
(deleteme) 48 % file delete C:/tmp/deleteme
error deleting "C:/tmp/deleteme": permission denied

Jeff

Databank SpA - Centro raccolta dati

Dec 6, 2000, 2:05:44 AM12/6/00
Jeffrey Hobbs wrote:

> Frans Houweling <houw...@databankgroup.it> writes:
>
> > I get this strange error:
> >
> > error deleting "C:/xxxx:": file already exists
> > while executing
> > "file delete -force $curDir"
> >
> > and I can't figure out why. In what kind of circumstances this happens?
> > I use Tcl8.3.2 on Windows NT.
>
> Are you trying to delete the directory that you are currently
> in? Even -force has limits that don't allow this (or rather,
> the underlying OS has limits that don't allow this).
>
> Jeff

That was exactly the case. Thanks very much... and apologies!

--
Cordiali saluti Kind regards