Error with "package require" in Tcl 8.5a1

Anthony Davis

Oct 29, 2004, 2:18:01 PM10/29/04
Hello All,
I downloaded the latest sources for Tcl, thread, Tk, and Tile....
After compiling each, running tests, then installing.... whenever I do
a package require I get a bunch of errors.
See below:

D:\>tclsh85t
% package require Tk 8.5
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/dde1.2/pkgIndex.tcl: too
many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/dde1.3/pkgIndex.tcl: too
many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/expect/pkgIndex.tcl: too
many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/reg1.1/pkgIndex.tcl: too
many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/Tcldom2.6/pkgIndex.tcl:
too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/tcllib1.6/pkgIndex.tcl:
too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/Tclxml2.6/pkgIndex.tcl:
too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/tile0.4/pkgIndex.tcl: too
many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/tk8.4/pkgIndex.tcl: too
many nested
evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/tklib0.2/pkgIndex.tcl: too
many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/vfs1.3/pkgIndex.tcl: too
many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/vu2.2/pkgIndex.tcl: too
many nested
evaluations (infinite loop?)

Is anyone else seeing this and has a suggestion on how to resolve it?
I understand this is an alpha release of Tcl, so if the answer is "use
tcl8.4.7" then thats ok.

Regards,
Anthony

Michael Schlenker

Oct 29, 2004, 2:45:11 PM10/29/04
Anthony Davis wrote:

> Hello All,
> I downloaded the latest sources for Tcl, thread, Tk, and Tile....

Where did you get the sources? CVS checkout?

> After compiling each, running tests, then installing.... whenever I do
> a package require I get a bunch of errors.

This looks wrong.
A wild guess: This could be a side effect of the tinkering with Tcl
Modules which is going on at the moment (TIP 189).

Use 8.4.7 (or the soon to come 8.4.8) for stuff you want to behave
solid, 8.5 is ok for testing but its not ready for prime time mission
critical stuff yet...

Michael

Anthony Davis

Oct 29, 2004, 8:21:58 PM10/29/04
Michael Schlenker <sch...@uni-oldenburg.de> wrote in message news:<2ufgnbF...@uni-berlin.de>...

> Anthony Davis wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> > I downloaded the latest sources for Tcl, thread, Tk, and Tile....
> Where did you get the sources? CVS checkout?
>
> > After compiling each, running tests, then installing.... whenever I do
> > a package require I get a bunch of errors.
> This looks wrong.
> A wild guess: This could be a side effect of the tinkering with Tcl
> Modules which is going on at the moment (TIP 189).
>
> > See below:
> >
> > D:\>tclsh85t
> > % package require Tk 8.5
> > error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/dde1.2/pkgIndex.tcl: too

> > error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/vu2.2/pkgIndex.tcl: too
> > many nested
> > evaluations (infinite loop?)
> >

> > Is anyone else seeing this and has a suggestion on how to resolve it?
> > I understand this is an alpha release of Tcl, so if the answer is "use
> > tcl8.4.7" then thats ok.
> Use 8.4.7 (or the soon to come 8.4.8) for stuff you want to behave
> solid, 8.5 is ok for testing but its not ready for prime time mission
> critical stuff yet...
>
> Michael

Hmmmmmm....... I downloaded (www.sf.net) Tcl & Tk 8.4.7, compiled,
installed, same thing is happening.

The binaries I installed from ActiveState do not reproduce the same
error, but they will not work since I need to have a thread enabled
core.

Any suggestions where I can start looking to resolve this?

Regards,
Anthony

Don Porter

Oct 29, 2004, 11:12:39 PM10/29/04
Anthony Davis wrote:
>> > error reading package index file D:/Tcl/lib/vu2.2/pkgIndex.tcl: too
>> > many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)

As the message suggests, you should only see this when your code
is suffering from some infinite loop.

> Hmmmmmm....... I downloaded (www.sf.net) Tcl & Tk 8.4.7, compiled,
> installed, same thing is happening.

Take us step by step through how you did those things.

Did you run the test suite? What results did you get from it?

--
| Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald...@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory |

Anthony Davis

Nov 1, 2004, 12:46:55 PM11/1/04
Don Porter <d...@email.nist.gov> wrote in message news:<slrnco61l...@clover.cam.nist.gov>...

> As the message suggests, you should only see this when your code
> is suffering from some infinite loop.

> Take us step by step through how you did those things.
>
> Did you run the test suite? What results did you get from it?

Hey Don,
The only thing I can think of that I did differently then the other
dozen or so times I have downloaded and installed Tcl/Tk from source
is that I compiled using VC 7.0 instead of 6.0 (The installation is on
WinXP).

Steps are as follows:
1.) Downloaded sources from www.sf.net for Tcl/Tk 8.4.7, thread and
tile extensions also.
2.) Compiled Tcl with the following command: nmake –f makefile.vc
OPTS=threads INSTALLDIR=D:\Tcl
3.) Ran the test suite with the following command (test results are
below): nmake –f makefile.vc test OPTS=threads INSTALLDIR=D:\Tcl
4.) steps 2 & 3 for Tk except added the TCLDIR=D:\tcl8.4.7 flag to the
command line
5.) Installed both Tcl and Tk using nmake –f makefile.vc install
INSTALLDIR=D:\Tcl OPTS=threads

The files that failed tests are:
io.test:

==== io-19.2 testing Tcl_GetChannel, user opened handle FAILED
==== Contents of test case:

file delete $path(test1)
set f [open $path(test1) w]
set x [eof $f]
close $f
set x

---- Test generated error; Return code was: 1
---- Return code should have been one of: 0 2
---- errorInfo: error deleting "D:/Tcl/tcl8.4.7/tests/test1":
permission denied
while executing
"file delete $path(test1)"
("uplevel" body line 2)
invoked from within
"uplevel 1 $script"
---- errorCode: POSIX EACCES {permission denied}
==== io-19.2 FAILED

io.test: Total 458 Passed 383 Skipped 74 Failed 1
Number of tests skipped for each constraint:
1 emptyTest
1 largefileSupport
1 macOnly
2 nonPortable
43 testchannel
7 testchannelevent
9 testfevent
1 testmainthread
9 unixOnly

winFcmd.test:
every test in this file failed because of an unknown command
"testfile"

There were 3 tests that failed from Tk but I doubt they have anything
to do with this so I will research them myself.

Any ideas you have that will help me resolve this would be great.

Regards,
Anthony

Don Porter

Nov 1, 2004, 2:08:31 PM11/1/04
Anthony Davis wrote:
> The only thing I can think of that I did differently then the other
> dozen or so times I have downloaded and installed Tcl/Tk from source
> is that I compiled using VC 7.0 instead of 6.0 (The installation is on
> WinXP).

Sorry, but VC 7.0, WinXP, and nmake introduces enough things I don't
normally use that there's not a whole lot of useful advice I can
offer.

> The files that failed tests are:

One bit of good news is that it appears the test suite was able to
run. Somehow, it's avoiding whatever created the infinite loops,
even though the test suite will be reading the same package index
files that reported trouble before.

> Any ideas you have that will help me resolve this would be great.

Unless someone steps in, only thing I can advise is to file this
as a bug report.

Anthony Davis

Nov 3, 2004, 12:51:04 PM11/3/04
Don Porter <d...@email.nist.gov> wrote in message news:<slrncod2d...@clover.cam.nist.gov>...

> Anthony Davis wrote:
> > The only thing I can think of that I did differently then the other
> > dozen or so times I have downloaded and installed Tcl/Tk from source
> > is that I compiled using VC 7.0 instead of 6.0 (The installation is on
> > WinXP).
>
> Sorry, but VC 7.0, WinXP, and nmake introduces enough things I don't
> normally use that there's not a whole lot of useful advice I can
> offer.
>
> > The files that failed tests are:
>
> One bit of good news is that it appears the test suite was able to
> run. Somehow, it's avoiding whatever created the infinite loops,
> even though the test suite will be reading the same package index
> files that reported trouble before.
>
> > Any ideas you have that will help me resolve this would be great.
>
> Unless someone steps in, only thing I can advise is to file this
> as a bug report.

I hate to give a reply like this, I wish I had found the cause of the
issue but it appears it was probably user error.

I started from scratch, removed all of the previous versions of Tcl/Tk
and re-built/re-installed and everything is fine.

I did document each step this time in hopes of reproducing an error, I
wonder if it could be useful to turn it into a document on how to
compile and install Tcl with Threads using Visual Studio 7.0 from the
command line on Windows.

Thanks for the assistance anyway.

~Anthony