Compiling Tcl/Tk on Solaris

Ulrich Schoebel

Jan 15, 2003, 12:03:10 PM1/15/03
Hi all,

I'm trying to compile Tcl and Tk on a SUN machine,
uname -a = SunOS xx 5.8 Generic_108528-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100

I do a configure --enable-shared --enable-gcc and make.
Everything compiles without a warning. make test fails:

./tcltest ./../tests/all.tcl
Segmentation Fault - core dumped
make: *** [test] Error 139

When I start tclsh8.3 it also dumps core.

What's going wrong?

Tk also compiles without warnings, but, due to the Tcl failure,
dumps core, too.

What can I do to get Tcl/Tk going?

Best regards

Ulrich

Marty Backe

Jan 15, 2003, 1:42:30 PM1/15/03

I've built on 5.6 & 5.8 many times with no problems. I can't remember off hand
whether Sun's make works. So as a thought, did you try running the tests with
gmake (GNU's version of make)?

--
Marty Backe
-------------------------------

- Who is John Galt?

Ulrich Schoebel

Jan 16, 2003, 3:46:23 AM1/16/03
Hi Marty,

I've built Tcl/Tk on quite a couple of SUNs without any problem ever.
That's the reason, why I'm so surprised to receive no compile time
errors or warnings but run time core dumps. I always used, just as
now, the gcc. The make I use is GNU make 3.79.1.

I'm still clueless.

Best regards

Ulrich

--
SIGOS Systemintegration GmbH
- TESTING IS OUR COMPETENCE -

Visit us at the 3GSM World Congress 2003 in Cannes, France
February 17 - 21 , in hall 2 stand E5

lvi...@yahoo.com

Jan 16, 2003, 3:01:45 PM1/16/03

According to Ulrich Schoebel <ulrich....@sigos.de>:
:I'm trying to compile Tcl and Tk on a SUN machine,

:uname -a = SunOS xx 5.8 Generic_108528-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100

I have built Tcl 8.4.1 on Solaris 2.8 using gcc 2.7.2 (as part of my
Tclkit process). I don't see the same problem you see. Sorry.
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation. <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >

Ulrich Schoebel

Jan 17, 2003, 3:49:13 AM1/17/03
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your answer. I installed gdb, which showed up that the
ncurses library is missing. I'm afraid I have to install quite a bit
of missing software before I get Tcl to work.

Best regards

Ulrich

lvi...@yahoo.com

Jan 17, 2003, 7:26:32 AM1/17/03

According to Ulrich Schoebel <ulrich....@sigos.de>:
:Thanks for your answer. I installed gdb, which showed up that the

:ncurses library is missing. I'm afraid I have to install quite a bit
:of missing software before I get Tcl to work.

I'm confused. Tcl doesn't use ncurses. Something is going wrong.

$ ldd /usr/tcl84/bin/tclsh8.4
libtcl8.4g.so => /usr/tcl84/lib/libtcl8.4g.so
libdl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
libsocket.so.1 => /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
libnsl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
libm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libm.so.1
libc.so.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1
libmp.so.2 => /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
/usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Blade-100/lib/libc_psr.so.1

Ulrich Schoebel

Jan 17, 2003, 9:10:05 AM1/17/03
lvi...@yahoo.com wrote:

> According to Ulrich Schoebel <ulrich....@sigos.de>:
> :Thanks for your answer. I installed gdb, which showed up that the
> :ncurses library is missing. I'm afraid I have to install quite a bit
> :of missing software before I get Tcl to work.
>
> I'm confused. Tcl doesn't use ncurses. Something is going wrong.

Me too. You're right, but a gdb ./tclsh in the unix directory told
me so. This is no longer reproducible.

> $ ldd /usr/tcl84/bin/tclsh8.4
> libtcl8.4g.so => /usr/tcl84/lib/libtcl8.4g.so
> libdl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
> libsocket.so.1 => /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
> libnsl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
> libm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libm.so.1
> libc.so.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1
> libmp.so.2 => /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
> /usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Blade-100/lib/libc_psr.so.1

ldd gives me almost the same output, except that I'm trying to
compile 8.3.5.

BTW, when I tried to compile ncurses, it configured and compiled
without an error, but tic is also dumping core.

There must be something seriously wrong.
There is no development package on the machine (except gcc et alii).
Might this be a reason for those difficulties?

I'm hoping for some enlightenment next week.
Have a nice weekend

Ulrich

Harmil Patel

Jan 17, 2003, 12:29:57 PM1/17/03
Hi All:

I have compiled Tcl 8.4.1 on my sun.
SunOS w-harmil 5.8 Generic_108528-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

It compiled fine with or without purify option.

I was able to run 'tclsh" on same machine where I compile the Tcl. But when
I run "tclsh" on different machine, it hangs. I don't get the command prompt
back.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Harmil

lvi...@yahoo.com

Jan 17, 2003, 12:54:24 PM1/17/03

According to Ulrich Schoebel <ulrich....@sigos.de>:
:There must be something seriously wrong.

:There is no development package on the machine (except gcc et alii).
:Might this be a reason for those difficulties?

That should not add some sort of dependency on ncurses. I don't know
what tools you might need to add when building tcl.

I don't have a 'naked' system to build.

Make certain that you have a working gcc installed along with the appropriate
include files, etc. that the gcc INSTALL and README files tell you must
be set up.

lvi...@yahoo.com

Jan 17, 2003, 12:57:13 PM1/17/03

:
: I was able to run 'tclsh" on same machine where I compile the Tcl. But when

:I run "tclsh" on different machine, it hangs. I don't get the command prompt
:back.
:
: Any suggestion?

Is the second machine a SunOS 5.8 machine?

When you try to run the tclsh on the different machine, are you certain
that you are trying the binary you created?

Suns come with a /opt/sfw package that includes a lot of 'free' software,
including gcc, etc. In that package is a version of Tcl and Expect.
If you are picking up something different than what you built, you might
be surprised at the behavior.

Run the man page on a tool called truss - it can be used to track
the system calls made during execution of an application. Perhaps it will
reveal to you some problem (perhaps permission problems, etc.)

Stephen P. Hill

Jan 17, 2003, 4:47:18 PM1/17/03
lvi...@yahoo.com wrote:
> According to Ulrich Schoebel <ulrich....@sigos.de>:
> :There must be something seriously wrong.
> :There is no development package on the machine (except gcc et alii).
> :Might this be a reason for those difficulties?
>
> That should not add some sort of dependency on ncurses. I don't know
> what tools you might need to add when building tcl.

I think he was having trouble running GDB, since _IT_ needs
ncurses. He must have assumed that gdb was telling hime that
tclsh needed ncurses.

On a Linux box:
ldd /usr/bin/gdb
libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x40026000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/i686/libm.so.6 (0x40068000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x4008b000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/libc.so.6 (0x4008f000)

Harmil Patel

Jan 17, 2003, 6:48:53 PM1/17/03
Hi:

I am running the binary that I build. And the machine that I am running on have
same SunOS version.

I was finally able to build the tclsh with purify. Let see if I can able to run
it.

I have one more question. I have some utility tcl files. Out of those, I use the
ftp.tcl to ftp some information to PC.

Where can I find the following bundles.
base64,cmdline, counter, struct, fileutil, ftp, ftpd, javascript, html, math,
mime, ncgi, nntp, pop3, profiler, textutil, uri. Do I need to compile this?

Thanks
Harmil

lvi...@yahoo.com

Jan 18, 2003, 12:02:34 AM1/18/03

According to Harmil Patel <har...@lucent.com>:
:Where can I find the following bundles.

: base64,cmdline, counter, struct, fileutil, ftp, ftpd, javascript, html, math,
:mime, ncgi, nntp, pop3, profiler, textutil, uri. Do I need to compile this?

I believe that these come from http://tcllib.sf.net/ - if the
web site is cooperating with people these days.