mundane question

catonano

Feb 20, 2010, 7:01:02 AM2/20/10
Hello people,

How do I get to call "ls" and show its output ?

I'm new to Scheme, Lisp Emacs and the such.

I managed to install scsh and I can even call it from inside Emacs, so
I have a prompt.

But I'm clueless on how to proceed.

exec is there as a procedure but if I type exec ls or exec 'ls' or
exec '/usr/bun/ls' or....

no luck.

I know my question is mundane, but as stated in this blog post
http://www.atariarchives.org/deli/cottage_computer_programming.php

"I kept getting stuck where the instructions said "Type CONTROL B and
press RETURN." I must have typed CONTROL B a hundred times, but
nothing happened. Finally I abandoned the instructions and began
experimenting.
It was then that I noticed the key marked CTRL. Remember, I had
never used a real computer before. I had only imagined it.
Instructions that come with computers should be written for people who
can only imagine them. What they should have said was, "Press down the
key marked CTRL. While holding it down, press the B key. Now release
these keys and press the key marked RETURN."

Thanks for your help
Catonano

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Feb 24, 2010, 10:11:22 PM2/24/10
catonano <cato...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello people,
>
> How do I get to call "ls" and show its output ?
>
> I'm new to Scheme, Lisp Emacs and the such.
>
> I managed to install scsh and I can even call it from inside Emacs, so
> I have a prompt.
>
> But I'm clueless on how to proceed.
>
> exec is there as a procedure but if I type exec ls or exec 'ls' or
> exec '/usr/bun/ls' or....
>
> no luck.

Have you tried the manual? I don't remember how it's done, but I
remember that there's a manual for scsh that's very clear.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com

catonano

Feb 26, 2010, 6:57:58 AM2/26/10
On Feb 25, 4:11 am, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:

> Have you tried the manual?  I don't remember how it's done, but I
> remember that there's a manual for scsh that's very clear.

Pascal,

thank you for your kind reply.

I took a look at the manual and there's a section about the process
forms. It's here:
http://www.scsh.net/docu/html/man-Z-H-3.html#node_sec_2.2

But still I can't make it work.

The simplest process form, as stated in the manual is

(prog arg1 ... argn)

So I tried

(ls aFolder)

but "ls" results to be not defined

I tried the equivalent form

(begin (apply exec-path `(ls aFolder)))

and it worked but in the end killed the main scsh process and I stuck
up with a dead buffer so I guess the "begin" part didn't work. Or did
it ? The manual states it is supposed to fork and I supposed on my
side the the process to die was the son generated by the fork, not the
main one.

So, I guess I should guess the package this process related stuff is
defined and read about packages... right ?

Thanks
Cato