Compiling extensions on Python 2.7, Windows 10 64 bit

andrea...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2016, 3:46:11 PM4/29/16
Dear list,

I have been trying to compile wxPython Phoenix (https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix) from source on Windows 10 64 bit, Python 2.7 64 bit, using the very handy Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler for Python 2.7 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44266).

I started with Python 2.7.8, then wiped out that installation and used Python 2.7.11: cleaned the build directory, everything, and rebuilt the Phoenix modules from scratch.

Upon starting the Phoenix demo, I got the same error message I had with Python 2.7.8:

D:\MyProjects\Phoenix\demo>python Main.py
<type 'str'>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wxPhoenix\wx\core.py", line 1955, in Notify
self.notify()
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wxPhoenix\wx\core.py", line 3034, in Notify
self.result = self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "Main.py", line 2601, in ShowMain
frame = wxPythonDemo(None, "wxPython: (A Demonstration)")
File "Main.py", line 1531, in __init__
self.SetOverview(self.overviewText, mainOverview)
File "Main.py", line 2130, in SetOverview
self.nb.SetPageText(0, os.path.split(name)[1])
SystemError: ..\Objects\longobject.c:998: bad argument to internal function

The error message refers (apparently) to this Python bug:

https://bugs.python.org/issue23842

But I assumed that it had been fixed waaaaay before 2.7.11. Now I am stuck and I have no idea on what to try next.

Does anyone have suggestions/comments on where I should look for/what I should do/what I should change in order to get the extension running on Python 2.7?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions :-) .

Andrea.

Igor Korot

Apr 29, 2016, 4:25:13 PM4/29/16
Andrea,
Did you try with python 3.x?

IIUC, Phoenix should be made for python 3.x, and classic is for 2.7 series.

Thank you.
.

> Andrea.

Igor Korot

Apr 29, 2016, 4:29:21 PM4/29/16
Andrea,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Andrea Gavana <andrea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Friday, 29 April 2016, Igor Korot <ikor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Andrea,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 3:45 PM, <andrea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Did you try with python 3.x?
>>
>> IIUC, Phoenix should be made for python 3.x, and classic is for 2.7
>> series.
>>

> No, Phoenix is meant to work on Python 2 and 3 at the same time. That's the
> very reason it was created.

But is it compiling with python 3.x?
Because the bug should be definitely fixed there.

Thank you.

> Andrea.

Andrea Gavana

Apr 29, 2016, 4:40:49 PM4/29/16

On Friday, 29 April 2016, Igor Korot <ikor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andrea,
>
> Did you try with python 3.x?
>
> IIUC, Phoenix should be made for python 3.x, and classic is for 2.7 series.

No, Phoenix is meant to work on Python 2 and 3 at the same time. That's the
very reason it was created.

Andrea.

Andrea Gavana

Apr 30, 2016, 3:05:15 AM4/30/16

On Friday, 29 April 2016, Igor Korot <ikor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andrea,
>
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Andrea Gavana <andrea...@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > On Friday, 29 April 2016, Igor Korot <ikor...@gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Andrea,
> >>
> >> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 3:45 PM, <andrea...@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >> Did you try with python 3.x?
> >>
> >> IIUC, Phoenix should be made for python 3.x, and classic is for 2.7
> >> series.
> >>

> > No, Phoenix is meant to work on Python 2 and 3 at the same time. That's
> the
> > very reason it was created.
>
> But is it compiling with python 3.x?
> Because the bug should be definitely fixed there.

This is not relevant to the question I have asked. I will be using it with
Python 3 as well, but I would like to know if anybody has a suggestion on
what I may be doing wrong on Python *2*, since I have many projects happily
running with that version of Python.

Andrea.