Improper Django Project error

Gary Roach

Jul 30, 2015, 2:57:45 PM7/30/15
to Python List
Hi all

Being new to Django and Python, I have two projects setup side by side, each in it's own virtualenv wrapper.
The twr_project is running Django 1.7, python 2.7 and is set up to duplicate the 'Tango With Rango' tutorial.
The archivedb project is running Django 1.8, python 2.7 and is my actual project.

I am using Ninja-IDE as my IDE. I like it a lot.

At this point both projects are essentially identical with the exception of name changes. The twr project work down to the first template inclusion ( index.html ). The archivedb project refuses to find the home.html template file. The system layout is exactly the same.

I wiped the home.html file and attempted to re-install it but my IDE gave the following error window:

Sorry, either settings file or virtualenv are missingthese are required for Django Plugin to work in thepresent version, we are working on fixing this.

I have virtualenv installed and active and the settings file is present. In any case, the IDE won't let me save the home.html file without some fiddling. Even if I get the file saved the web server can't find it. (file not found error). The only difference between index.html (Django 1.7) and home.html (Django 1.8) is the name changes.

I have inserted print statements in the url tree to try debugging this but all the path information returned seems reasonable.

Is this a bug in Ninja-IDE, Django 1.8 or is it something else.

If you need more information, please let me know

Gary R.

dieter

Jul 31, 2015, 2:16:14 AM7/31/15
to pytho...@python.org
Gary Roach <gary71...@verizon.net> writes:
> Being new to Django and Python, I have two projects setup side by
> side, each in it's own virtualenv wrapper.
> The twr_project is running Django 1.7, python 2.7 and is set up to
> duplicate the 'Tango With Rango' tutorial.
> The archivedb project is running Django 1.8, python 2.7 and is my
> actual project.

As this is more a "Django" (than a general "Python") question,
you might get better help in a "Django" mailing list/support forum.

Your "subject" indicates that you likely see (somewhere)
the "Django" error message "Improper Django Project error".
Likely, you have corrupted you "Django" project setup.
Read about how "Django" projects must look like and fix your setup.

> I am using Ninja-IDE as my IDE. I like it a lot.
>
> At this point both projects are essentially identical with the
> exception of name changes. The twr project work down to the first
> template inclusion ( index.html ). The archivedb project refuses to
> find the home.html template file. The system layout is exactly the
> same.
>
> I wiped the home.html file and attempted to re-install it but my IDE
> gave the following error window:
>
>> Sorry, either settings file or virtualenv are missingthese are
>> required for Django Plugin to work in thepresent version, we are
>> working on fixing this.
>>
> I have virtualenv installed and active and the settings file is
> present.

You should ask this question on a "Ninja-IDE" mailing list/support forum.

Gary Roach

Jul 31, 2015, 10:33:52 PM7/31/15
to pytho...@python.org
On 07/30/2015 11:15 PM, dieter wrote:
> Gary Roach <gary71...@verizon.net> writes:
>> Being new to Django and Python, I have two projects setup side by
>> side, each in it's own virtualenv wrapper.
>> The twr_project is running Django 1.7, python 2.7 and is set up to
>> duplicate the 'Tango With Rango' tutorial.
>> The archivedb project is running Django 1.8, python 2.7 and is my
>> actual project.
> As this is more a "Django" (than a general "Python") question,
> you might get better help in a "Django" mailing list/support forum.
Actually you are dead correct on that.

> Your "subject" indicates that you likely see (somewhere)
> the "Django" error message "Improper Django Project error".
> Likely, you have corrupted you "Django" project setup.
> Read about how "Django" projects must look like and fix your setup.
The real problem was that the settings.py files for Django 1.7 and 1.8
have some very significant differences with the format of the TEMPLATES
= [] tuple. So the problem's solved --- sort of .
>> I am using Ninja-IDE as my IDE. I like it a lot.
>>
>> At this point both projects are essentially identical with the
>> exception of name changes. The twr project work down to the first
>> template inclusion ( index.html ). The archivedb project refuses to
>> find the home.html template file. The system layout is exactly the
>> same.
>>
>> I wiped the home.html file and attempted to re-install it but my IDE
>> gave the following error window:
>>
>>> Sorry, either settings file or virtualenv are missingthese are
>>> required for Django Plugin to work in thepresent version, we are
>>> working on fixing this.
>>>
>> I have virtualenv installed and active and the settings file is
>> present.
> You should ask this question on a "Ninja-IDE" mailing list/support forum.
Ninja_IDE is just reporting an apparent problem. The real problem is
that the browser can't find the file. A Django problem.

Gary Roach

Aug 1, 2015, 11:59:14 AM8/1/15
to pytho...@python.org