Python for WEB-page !?

Ionut Predoiu

Jan 5, 2017, 7:57:23 AM1/5/17
Good afternoon,

I am a beginner in programming language.
I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to use, beside of basic language, because I want to integrate in my site 1 page in which users to can made calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the users will only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button will see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...).
Please take into account that behind will be more mathematical equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.

I waiting with higher interest your feedback.

Thanks to all members of community for support and advice.
Keep in touch.
Kind regards.

Chris Angelico

Jan 5, 2017, 10:18:26 AM1/5/17
On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 11:57 PM, Ionut Predoiu <cae.mef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a beginner in programming language.
> I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to use, beside of basic language, because I want to integrate in my site 1 page in which users to can made calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the users will only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button will see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...).
> Please take into account that behind will be more mathematical equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.

Building a web site can be done with Flask, Django, aiohttp, or a
number of other frameworks. Generating graphs can be done with
matplotlib. Speed won't be a problem - a computer can do a LOT of
mathematical calculations in the time it takes to request something
over the internet.

Have fun exploring!

ChrisA

Uri Even-Chen

Jan 5, 2017, 10:26:48 AM1/5/17
I recommend starting with Python 3, I also use it (3.5.2) for my Django
projects - Speedy Net and Speedy Match.

Uri.

*Uri Even-Chen*
[image: photo] Phone: +972-54-3995700
Email: u...@speedy.net
Website: http://www.speedysoftware.com/uri/en/
<http://www.facebook.com/urievenchen> <http://plus.google.com/+urievenchen>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/urievenchen> <http://github.com/urievenchen>
<http://twitter.com/urievenchen>

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 11:57 PM, Ionut Predoiu <cae.mef...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I am a beginner in programming language.
> > I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to use, beside of
> basic language, because I want to integrate in my site 1 page in which
> users to can made calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the
> users will only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button will
> see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...).
> > Please take into account that behind will be more mathematical
> equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.
> >

> Building a web site can be done with Flask, Django, aiohttp, or a
> number of other frameworks. Generating graphs can be done with
> matplotlib. Speed won't be a problem - a computer can do a LOT of
> mathematical calculations in the time it takes to request something
> over the internet.
>
> Have fun exploring!
>
> ChrisA

Victor Porton

Jan 5, 2017, 6:53:51 PM1/5/17
Ionut Predoiu wrote:

> I am a beginner in programming language.
> I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to use, beside of
> basic language, because I want to integrate in my site 1 page in which
> users to can made calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the
> users will only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button
> will see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...). Please
> take into account that behind will be more mathematical
> equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.

Consider PyPi. I never used it, but they say, it is faster than usual
CPython interpreter.

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org

bream...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 7:20:11 PM1/5/17
On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 11:53:51 PM UTC, Victor Porton wrote:
> Ionut Predoiu wrote:
>
> > I am a beginner in programming language.
> > I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to use, beside of
> > basic language, because I want to integrate in my site 1 page in which
> > users to can made calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the
> > users will only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button
> > will see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...). Please
> > take into account that behind will be more mathematical
> > equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.
>
> Consider PyPi. I never used it, but they say, it is faster than usual
> CPython interpreter.

Really? I'd strongly contrast the Python Package Index https://pypi.python.org/pypi with the Python implementation pypy at http://pypy.org/ :)

Michael Torrie

Jan 5, 2017, 7:42:05 PM1/5/17
On 01/05/2017 04:53 PM, Victor Porton wrote:
> Ionut Predoiu wrote:
>
>> I am a beginner in programming language.
>> I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to use, beside of
>> basic language, because I want to integrate in my site 1 page in which
>> users to can made calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the
>> users will only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button
>> will see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...). Please
>> take into account that behind will be more mathematical
>> equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.
>
> Consider PyPi. I never used it, but they say, it is faster than usual
> CPython interpreter.

With respect, I don't think it's appropriate to direct a python beginner
to PyPi. Far better to direct him to the relevant resources (like
Django) and focus him on the standard Python interpreter, hopefully
version 3.

Besides that, there's the old expression. Premature optimization is the
root of all evil. Until Python is shown to be too slow for a given
task, it's premature to think about speedups like Cython or even PyPi.

Michael Torrie

Jan 5, 2017, 7:48:45 PM1/5/17
On 01/05/2017 05:57 AM, Ionut Predoiu wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I am a beginner in programming language. I want to know what version
> of Python I must to learn to use, beside of basic language, because I
> want to integrate in my site 1 page in which users to can made
> calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the users will
> only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button will see
> the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...). Please take
> into account that behind will be more mathematical
> equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.

While Python can do that, using a web framework to process HTTP requests
and generate HTML to display in the browser, I don't believe Python is
the appropriate language for the task at hand. Most web sites that do
interactive formula calculations like you describe do it all in the
browser using Javascript. No need to have a web server do all that
heavy lifting at all. A simple html file would contain everything you need.

Even if you want to use Python to generate the web page and process
events, you'll still have to master Javascript at some point to make the
webpages more interactive.

Ionut Predoiu

Jan 6, 2017, 2:07:48 AM1/6/17
Good morning,

Thanks to all for feedback and advice.
Because I am a beginner I will read more about versions of Python recommended by you.

On the other side I am interested to know if exist some sites which have develop platform where can be use for free Python from browsers, without have it installed on PC/laptop. As beginner I want to practice from everywhere.

I waiting with higher interest your feedback.

Thanks to all members of community for support and advice.
Keep in touch.
Kind regards.

Deborah Swanson

Jan 6, 2017, 6:20:06 AM1/6/17
Ionut Predoiu wrote, on January 05, 2017 11:07 PM

> Good morning,
>
> Thanks to all for feedback and advice.
> Because I am a beginner I will read more about versions of
> Python recommended by you.
>
> On the other side I am interested to know if exist some sites
> which have develop platform where can be use for free Python
> from browsers, without have it installed on PC/laptop. As
> beginner I want to practice from everywhere.

There's a website called Python Tutor where you can write Python
programs and it will show you the structures built in memory as it
executes. It's very useful for seeing how recursive functions work, or
any function or class you call. It will also work for simple programs
and it has an output console you can print to. (Well, it's more like a
print window, but it works.) Very good for beginners, I used it all the
time when I was first learning, and I still use it for recursive
functions, since PyCharm doesn't step through recursion in a clear way.

http://pythontutor.com/

> I waiting with higher interest your feedback.
>
> Thanks to all members of community for support and advice.
> Keep in touch.
> Kind regards.
>

> On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 2:57:23 PM UTC+2, Ionut Predoiu wrote:
> > Good afternoon,
> >
> > I am a beginner in programming language.
> > I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to
> use, beside of basic language, because I want to integrate in
> my site 1 page in which users to can made calculus based on
> my formulas already write behind (the users will only
> complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button will
> see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...).
> > Please take into account that behind will be more
> mathematical equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be
> take into account.
> >
> > I waiting with higher interest your feedback.
> >
> > Thanks to all members of community for support and advice. Keep in
> > touch. Kind regards.

Ionut Predoiu

Jan 6, 2017, 6:31:27 AM1/6/17
Good afternoon,

Thank you for advice and promptitude in answer.

Keep in touch for further questions.
Kind regards.

Deborah Swanson

Jan 6, 2017, 4:16:15 PM1/6/17
Ionut Predoiu wrote, on January 05, 2017 11:07 PM

> Good morning,
>
> Thanks to all for feedback and advice.
> Because I am a beginner I will read more about versions of
> Python recommended by you.
>
> On the other side I am interested to know if exist some sites
> which have develop platform where can be use for free Python
> from browsers, without have it installed on PC/laptop. As
> beginner I want to practice from everywhere.

There's a website called Python Tutor where you can write Python programs and
it will show you the structures built in memory as it executes. It's very
useful for seeing how recursive functions work, or any function or class you
call. It will also work for simple programs and it has an output console you
can print to. (Well, it's more like a print window, but it works.) Very good
for beginners, I used it all the time when I was first learning, and I still
use it for recursive functions, since PyCharm doesn't step through recursion in
a clear way.

http://pythontutor.com/

> I waiting with higher interest your feedback.
>
> Thanks to all members of community for support and advice.
> Keep in touch.
> Kind regards.
>

> On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 2:57:23 PM UTC+2, Ionut Predoiu wrote:
> > Good afternoon,
> >
> > I am a beginner in programming language.
> > I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to
> use, beside of basic language, because I want to integrate in
> my site 1 page in which users to can made calculus based on
> my formulas already write behind (the users will only
> complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button will
> see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...).
> > Please take into account that behind will be more
> mathematical equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be
> take into account.
> >
> > I waiting with higher interest your feedback.
> >
> > Thanks to all members of community for support and advice. Keep in
> > touch. Kind regards.

Michael Torrie

Jan 6, 2017, 4:16:15 PM1/6/17
On 01/05/2017 05:57 AM, Ionut Predoiu wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I am a beginner in programming language. I want to know what version
> of Python I must to learn to use, beside of basic language, because I
> want to integrate in my site 1 page in which users to can made
> calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the users will
> only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button will see
> the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...). Please take
> into account that behind will be more mathematical
> equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.

breamoreboy

Jan 6, 2017, 4:16:15 PM1/6/17
On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 11:53:51 PM UTC, Victor Porton wrote:
> Ionut Predoiu wrote:
>
> > I am a beginner in programming language.
> > I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to use, beside of
> > basic language, because I want to integrate in my site 1 page in which
> > users to can made calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the
> > users will only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button
> > will see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...). Please
> > take into account that behind will be more mathematical
> > equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.
>
> Consider PyPi. I never used it, but they say, it is faster than usual
> CPython interpreter.

Michael Torrie

Jan 6, 2017, 4:16:15 PM1/6/17
On 01/05/2017 04:53 PM, Victor Porton wrote:
> Ionut Predoiu wrote:
>
>> I am a beginner in programming language.
>> I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to use, beside of
>> basic language, because I want to integrate in my site 1 page in which
>> users to can made calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the
>> users will only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button
>> will see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...). Please
>> take into account that behind will be more mathematical
>> equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.
>
> Consider PyPi. I never used it, but they say, it is faster than usual
> CPython interpreter.

Ionut Predoiu

Jan 6, 2017, 4:16:15 PM1/6/17
Good morning,

Thanks to all for feedback and advice. Because I am a beginner I will read more
about versions of Python recommended by you.

On the other side I am interested to know if exist some sites which have
develop platform where can be use for free Python from browsers, without have
it installed on PC/laptop. As beginner I want to practice from everywhere.

I waiting with higher interest your feedback.

Thanks to all members of community for support and advice. Keep in touch.
Kind regards.

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 2:57:23 PM UTC+2, Ionut Predoiu wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I am a beginner in programming language.
> I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to use, beside of basic
language, because I want to integrate in my site 1 page in which users to can
made calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the users will only
complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button will see the results in
form of: table, graphic, and so on ...).
> Please take into account that behind will be more mathematical
equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.

Victor Porton

Jan 6, 2017, 4:16:29 PM1/6/17
Ionut Predoiu wrote:

> I am a beginner in programming language.
> I want to know what version of Python I must to learn to use, beside of
> basic language, because I want to integrate in my site 1 page in which
> users to can made calculus based on my formulas already write behind (the
> users will only complete some field, and after push "Calculate" button
> will see the results in form of: table, graphic, and so on ...). Please
> take into account that behind will be more mathematical
> equations/formulas, so the speed I think must be take into account.

Consider PyPi. I never used it, but they say, it is faster than usual CPython
interpreter.

> I waiting with higher interest your feedback.
>
> Thanks to all members of community for support and advice.
> Keep in touch.
> Kind regards.

Eric S. Johansson

Jan 9, 2017, 1:03:02 AM1/9/17
On 1/5/2017 7:48 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> While Python can do that, using a web framework to process HTTP requests
> and generate HTML to display in the browser, I don't believe Python is
> the appropriate language for the task at hand. Most web sites that do
> interactive formula calculations like you describe do it all in the
> browser using Javascript. No need to have a web server do all that
> heavy lifting at all. A simple html file would contain everything you need.
>
> Even if you want to use Python to generate the web page and process
> events, you'll still have to master Javascript at some point to make the
> webpages more interactive.

There are a few implementations of Python that generate code that can
run the browser. I'm currently using brython and its significantly
easier than struggling with JavaScript. It's not perfect by any means,
it has its own quirks and bugs but the developer is very responsive, the
product is getting better every month and I like to see the Python
community give it a bit more love

Johann Spies

Jan 19, 2017, 9:48:20 AM1/19/17
It might be worth while to look at web2py (http://web2py.com).

Here is a good tutorial: http://killer-web-development.com/

Regards
Johann

--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you. (Psalm 63:3)