How to install dtrx with pip?

Peng Yu

Apr 25, 2015, 8:50:46 PM4/25/15
to pytho...@python.org
Hi,

I get the following error when I try to install pip. Does anybody know
what it is wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.

~/Downloads$ pip install dtrx
Downloading/unpacking dtrx
Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement dtrx
Some externally hosted files were ignored (use --allow-external dtrx
to allow).
Cleaning up...
No distributions at all found for dtrx
Storing debug log for failure in /Users/py/.pip/pip.log
~/Downloads$ pip install --allow-external dtrx
You must give at least one requirement to install (see "pip help install")

--
Regards,
Peng

Mark Lawrence

Apr 25, 2015, 9:36:34 PM4/25/15
to pytho...@python.org
It looks to me as if you've already installed pip and are trying to
install dtrx :) Version 7.1 is located here
http://brettcsmith.org/2007/dtrx/ I think you've got to specify the
--allow-external flag to pip. Perhaps you could confirm this from
reading the log output? Failing that simply download the file, extract
everything and run python setup.py install

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Chris Angelico

Apr 25, 2015, 11:24:47 PM4/25/15
to pytho...@python.org
On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Peng Yu <peng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get the following error when I try to install pip. Does anybody know
> what it is wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.
>
> ~/Downloads$ pip install dtrx
> Downloading/unpacking dtrx
> Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement dtrx
> Some externally hosted files were ignored (use --allow-external dtrx
> to allow).
> Cleaning up...
> No distributions at all found for dtrx
> Storing debug log for failure in /Users/py/.pip/pip.log
> ~/Downloads$ pip install --allow-external dtrx
> You must give at least one requirement to install (see "pip help install")

This is a nasty peculiarity of pip's command-line arguments, which is
(I think) improved in newer versions of pip. The --allow-external
option stipulates that the one next package may be installed
externally, and that package might be a dependency of the one you're
actually asking for. For what you want to do, try this:

$ pip install --allow-external dtrx dtrx

which means "Pip, go and install (possibly getting an external package
for dtrx) dtrx. Thanks."

ChrisA