python list name in subject

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer

Aug 22, 2017, 9:34:10 AM8/22/17
Hi all,

i am subscribed to different python lists and they put their names in the
subject
[name] subject

hence i can at a glance tell which mail belongs to which list.

A requests to admins to implement if possible

Thank you!

Garanti
sans virus. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Grant Edwards

Aug 22, 2017, 10:15:37 AM8/22/17
On 2017-08-22, Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer <arj.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i am subscribed to different python lists and they put their names in the
> subject
> [name] subject
>
> hence i can at a glance tell which mail belongs to which list.
>
> A requests to admins to implement if possible

Please don't. It wastes space which is better used on the subject. If
you want the mailing list prepended, then configure procmail (or
whatever) to do it for you.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Hey, waiter! I want
at a NEW SHIRT and a PONY TAIL

Rick Johnson

Aug 22, 2017, 11:21:58 AM8/22/17
Grant Edwards wrote:
> Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer wrote:
> >
> > Hi all, i am subscribed to different python lists and
> > they put their names in the subject [name] subject hence
> > i can at a glance tell which mail belongs to which list.
> > A requests to admins to implement if possible
>
> Please don't. It wastes space which is better used on the
> subject. If you want the mailing list prepended, then
> configure procmail (or whatever) to do it for you.

Although, considering that the BDFL has now made type-hints
an official part of the language, a "forum-of-origin" type-
hint, may be more Pythonic than we care to realize.

Hmm...

Tim Chase

Aug 22, 2017, 11:44:17 AM8/22/17
Checking mailing list headers...yep, the "forum-of-origin" type hint
is already present in standards-compliant fashion defined by
RFC4021[1]:

<mailto:python-li...@python.org?subject=subscribe>

Just need a mail client that knows about standards and isn't
fettered. ;-)

-tkc

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4021#section-2.1.31

Rick Johnson

Aug 22, 2017, 11:59:16 AM8/22/17
Tim Chase wrote:
> Rick Johnson wrote:

[...]

> Checking mailing list headers...yep, the "forum-of-origin"
> type hint is already present in standards-compliant fashion
> defined by RFC4021[1]:
>
> [...]
>
> Just need a mail client that knows about standards and
> isn't fettered. ;-)

Well, that pretty much disqualifies google groups. :-)

D'Arcy Cain

Aug 22, 2017, 8:28:32 PM8/22/17
On 08/22/2017 10:14 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Please don't. It wastes space which is better used on the subject. If
> you want the mailing list prepended, then configure procmail (or
> whatever) to do it for you.

Better yet, put it in its own folder.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Vybe Networks Inc.

Grant Edwards

Aug 22, 2017, 9:14:03 PM8/22/17
On 2017-08-23, D'Arcy Cain <da...@VybeNetworks.com> wrote:
> On 08/22/2017 10:14 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> Please don't. It wastes space which is better used on the subject. If
>> you want the mailing list prepended, then configure procmail (or
>> whatever) to do it for you.
>
> Better yet, put it in its own folder.

Even better, point a news client[1] at

nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders

Ben Finney

Aug 22, 2017, 9:52:19 PM8/22/17
Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer <arj.p...@gmail.com> writes:

> i am subscribed to different python lists and they put their names in the
> subject
> [name] subject

That's non-standard. The standard place for that information is the
“List-Id” field <URL:https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2919>.

> hence i can at a glance tell which mail belongs to which list.

Set up a filter on the specific value of the “List-Id” field, which is
set by any standards-conformant mailing list software.

Presto, you get any organisation you like based on that information; and
the rest of us don't get the Subject field cluttered.

--
\ “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone |
`\ else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a |

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer

Aug 22, 2017, 10:12:29 PM8/22/17
ah thanks for the tip about me filtering them

thought the community liked core python style (mail lists where python dev
talk, discuss ideas,i.e. the ones where guido replies etc)

anyways thanks all

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer,
Mauritius
abdurrahmaanjanhangeer.wordpress.com