its hard! how do you maintain motivation learning prolog from bash scripting linux/bsd background?

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2016, 1:27:14 PM6/27/16
I waver between leanring this lang and that.

I stop and start.

Have all the books on pdf.

Have the interpreter.

I sense great power to make websites without LAMP or java crap, if I can just learn swi prolog well.
Then do annie's course.
I just keep coming back after a week and forgetting all I learned in few hours I spent in week 1.

agggghgh!!

No I never went to school for comsci or programmed a 'real' lang b4.
I have stopped and started with lisp haskell forth scheme.

How do you keep motivation and press through?

Barb Knox

Jun 27, 2016, 4:10:27 PM6/27/16
Social support is often helpful. Do you have a friend who also wants to
learn Prolog?

BTW (modifying an old saying about Lisp and Fortran):
You can learn Prolog in a week if you don't know bash scripting,
or in two weeks if you do know bash scripting.

--
---------------------------
| BBB b \ Barbara at LivingHistory stop co stop uk
| B B aa rrr b |
| BBB a a r bbb | ,008015L080180,022036,029037
| B B a a r b b | ,047045,L014114L4.
| BBB aa a r bbb |
-----------------------------

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2016, 1:17:36 AM6/29/16
So bash will inhibit my prolog learning?
How depressing.
I must read chapter 2 of clocksin tomrrow.

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2016, 11:02:34 AM6/29/16
guess best thing is just to read the clocksin and write code

bitching didnt build the pyramids

polymorph self

Oct 4, 2016, 6:26:55 AM10/4/16
On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 11:02:34 AM UTC-4, endlessboo...@gmail.com wrote:
> guess best thing is just to read the clocksin and write code
>
> bitching didnt build the pyramids

prolog seems powerful

gosh java garbage at work is hell

kint...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2016, 10:08:18 AM10/6/16
great question !
i love bash .
to do prolog just pretend you are in a slightly different bash .

in bash :

function foo ()
{
BAR="$1"
BAZ="$2"

true
&& do_thing_1 \
&& do_thing_2 \
|| do_error $@ \
;
}

in prolog :

foo((_1_))%note that you need to use two <code>((</code> because 2 args is like foo((_1bar_),(_2baz_)%

foo((_1_),(_2_))
:-
true
,(do(thing(one(_))))
,(do(thing(two(_))))
;((bar);(throw(_)))
.

~~~ kintalken

polymorph self

Oct 9, 2016, 2:17:56 AM10/9/16
woa

Anne Ogborn

Oct 9, 2016, 1:43:32 PM10/9/16
I had been programming for 35 years when I ran into Prolog, and I found it baffling and infuriating for a month or so. So don't be discouraged that it's hard - yes, it is, that's normal.

Hang out on ##prolog on IRC. I'm on ##prolog on freenode.net, as is a great little community. Come join in, the hot tub's ready and there's cake and coffee most evenings.

Work on something you actually want to be working on. Studying for it's own sake is banged into students til they think it's normal. It's not. You can learn by engaging the world.

Having a project in mind can give you motivation.

If you really need motivation, find me on ##prolog and ask me to do 'hours'.

polymorph self

Oct 19, 2016, 12:16:37 AM10/19/16
thx u

u very kind