must study my prolog!! java webapps are bad!

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2016, 11:57:41 AM7/12/16
haskell or gnoga

or even werc.cat-v.org

have to be better than java!

I must get thought my prolog book and code soem prolog then get through annies web tutorial

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2016, 11:45:12 AM7/14/16
anyone got a live site up I an see working?

j4n bur53

Jul 14, 2016, 5:57:03 PM7/14/16
endlessboo...@gmail.com schrieb:
> anyone got a live site up I an see working?

Install SWI-Prolog on your PC.
You will have a web server on your PC.

Open a browser, and type in
http://localhost:<port>/<url>

It happened to me accidentially some
months ago, think when I was browsing some doc.

Can somebody help what port url works.

Jan Burse

Jul 14, 2016, 6:20:40 PM7/14/16

Thats how you do it in SWI-Prolog, just tested
with SWI-Prolog (Multi-threaded, 64 bits,
Version 7.3.23):

Choose the Menu item "Help | Browse PlDoc ...".
You will see that the Prolog interpreter logs
the following information:

% Started server at http://localhost:49715/
% Started Prolog Documentation server at port 49715
% You may access the server at http://localhost:49715/

The Prolog interpreter will then spawn a
browser for you, with an URL already in it.
You can navigate to other URLs.

Try the following:
http://localhost:49715/doc/swi/library/dcg/index.html

It gives you a HTTP view what overwise would be
the following directory on your Windows box:

C:\Program Files\swipl\library\dcg

The HTTP server sometimes displays errors:

ERROR: [Thread httpd@49715_3] close/1: I/O error in write on stream
<stream>(00000000074C0830) (Invalid argument)

But as you see it uses threads! Who would
expect that?

You can also open an administrator Windows cmd,
and try the following:

> netstat -anbv

It will show you:

TCP 0.0.0.0:49715 0.0.0.0:0 ABHÖREN
[swipl-win.exe]

If you exit the SWI-Prolog interpreter, URL will
not anymore work, and you wont see the above entry
with netstat.

Bye

Jan Burse

Jul 14, 2016, 6:24:31 PM7/14/16

Jan Burse

Jul 14, 2016, 6:27:02 PM7/14/16

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 4:44:52 PM7/15/16
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 6:24:31 PM UTC-4, Jan Burse wrote:
> U R welcome
> http://www.gifart.net/public/media/94/d41fcac27d1ad97c92262deb9586d661.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44E6ujRLchs

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 4:45:01 PM7/15/16

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 4:46:29 PM7/15/16

Anne Ogborn

Jul 16, 2016, 10:01:24 AM7/16/16
Yikes!

Yes, avoid Java web applications.

After too much J2EE I burnt out and spent a couple years driving a cab.

Given a choice between coding java and standing beside the road with a sign, I choose cardboard.

Jan Burse

Jul 16, 2016, 1:04:22 PM7/16/16
That sounds reasonable... LoL

Jan Burse

Jul 16, 2016, 1:06:35 PM7/16/16
BTW: There is some beauty in true hate,
as there is some beauty in true love!

Jan Burse

Jul 16, 2016, 1:34:27 PM7/16/16
Anyway, LAMP is out, MEAN is in!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEAN_%28software_bundle%29

But I guess this will also not work for you, since
StrongLoop is a spin off from IBM.

Anyway, who cares?

Jan Burse

Jul 16, 2016, 1:45:27 PM7/16/16
I know a Prolog vendor who asked me 10-times
what I think about Python.

Same answer, I don't care, I am not bothered.

Really really nobody cares about web interfaces
in logic programming. Its not related to any
problems in logic programming per se.

Its just a particular type of presentation layer,
and using deterministic predicates to generate
web content is not very exciting.

Maybe using Prolog non-determinstic predicates
to generate table like content, or generally
do the processing layer on the server side,
could be a little bit interesting.

If the processing layer does some information
integration, well also not really per se a
logic programming problem, but well there is
a certain potential.

But this potential is in the server processing
layer and not anymore in the presentation layer,
except if some processing is moved into the
client presentation layer.

But the problems are not very web-y anymore
then. They are age old problems of distribution
and time sharing, already found years ago in
query evaluation of database system when there
wasn't even a web.

Bottomline: Doing web with Prolog systems, i.e.
presentation layer, is extremly boring and will
possibly only eat up Prolog resources on the server
whereby the Prolog system could do much better stuff,
for example clever processing.

Bye

Jan Burse

Jul 16, 2016, 1:59:13 PM7/16/16
Jan Burse schrieb:
> Bottomline: Doing web with Prolog systems, i.e.
> presentation layer, is extremly boring and will
> possibly only eat up Prolog resources on the server
> whereby the Prolog system could do much better stuff,
> for example clever processing.

So doing web with Prolog there is not only the
danger of burn out, there is also the danger of
loosing least of your brain cells and turning
into a kind of web monkey.

A web monkey that can only brable CSS, HTML etc..
and most likely the customer will demand that you
photoshop pin-ups and mix audio lines(*). So better
say quickly good bye to any logic programming.

Bye

Here is the Pokemon Challenge video from ? 2014 ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YMD6xELI_k

I like dark voice of "At Google, we seek the ..."
makes me lough every time I hear it, did they
hire George Lucas?

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2016, 1:28:37 AM7/20/16
You are my hero.
I just quit a job due to silly messy stuff that was just not fun, resulting from some other person quitting it 6 months prior.
I am free now and have a lil more time to code prolog.
Can you get big and complex databases, like e commerce done in swi prolog?
Run shipping, e commerce all that stuff?

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2016, 1:31:22 AM7/20/16
I am a nut, I guess I have used linux so long and now my fav freebsd that I have bad smell of mainstream stuff like java and diet java of python ruby.
devops creeps me out since I use bash, which I am awesome at, and vm cloning to do all devops does.

gonga ada
happstack.com
werc.cat-v.org
any lisp stuff like hunentoot and ningle from cliki.net
racket webserver
chicken scheme awful web framework
picolisp
factor lang furnace web framework

these are kinda thing I am drawn to!
<---nut

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2016, 1:32:58 AM7/20/16
well can you skip postgresql and php and do it overall better with prolog? maybe even make quantum leap in data processing?
then why not try?

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2016, 1:33:44 AM7/20/16
i love myself
I wish i was world emperor sometimes.
id probly goof off and let everyone do whatever

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2016, 1:35:32 AM7/20/16
what kind of clever processing?

endlessboo...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2016, 1:36:16 AM7/20/16
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 10:01:24 AM UTC-4, Anne Ogborn wrote:
Would you say prolog is as flexible as lisp or haskell?
Can it make useful abstractions to make programmign easier?