Working with GEDCOM in PHP

Tim

Jul 21, 2016, 11:25:37 PM7/21/16
I am wanting to make a small PHP app with the sole purpose of making
Web pages from genealogical information. All the HTML produced from the
genealogy apps I have seen suck. I have an existing site originally
made with a program that is no longer available, and have made an HTML
template I use when doing updates.

However, I will soon need to redo the entire site, and
copying-and-pasting nearly all the information into the template would
take forever.

I have done some research on GEDCOM parsing and the general conclusion
is to not do it. That is: to not create a new parser but use an
existing one. I have found two that appear to meet my needs: one
returns a GEDCOM object and the other puts the data into a database.

I am thinking that since I will want to update the information in the
future that the first one would be the best, but I am concerned with
memory. I have almost 10,000 names already. I would think that the
second approach would potentially be faster, and maybe more stable, but
I would have to deal with updating or deleting the DB.

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on the issue?

Luuk

Jul 22, 2016, 5:36:26 AM7/22/16
On 22-07-16 05:25, Tim wrote:
> I am wanting to make a small PHP app with the sole purpose of making
> Web pages from genealogical information. All the HTML produced from the
> genealogy apps I have seen suck. I have an existing site originally
> made with a program that is no longer available, and have made an HTML
> template I use when doing updates.
>
> However, I will soon need to redo the entire site, and
> copying-and-pasting nearly all the information into the template would
> take forever.
>
> I have done some research on GEDCOM parsing and the general conclusion
> is to not do it. That is: to not create a new parser but use an
> existing one. I have found two that appear to meet my needs: one
> returns a GEDCOM object and the other puts the data into a database.

I think you also need/want to store ( the contents of) the GEDCOM object
in a database?

> I am thinking that since I will want to update the information in the
> future that the first one would be the best, but I am concerned with
> memory. I have almost 10,000 names already. I would think that the
> second approach would potentially be faster, and maybe more stable, but
> I would have to deal with updating or deleting the DB.

Working with a database from PHP should not be something you should
worry about ...

Putting data (creating/updating/deleting) in a database is much more
simple than maintaining a genealogical information.