PHP and WordPress

Gene Wirchenko

Mar 13, 2016, 9:21:56 PM3/13/16
Hello:

I am just getting into PHP via WordPress. Any advice for good
information sources out there? I am quite willing to put in my study
time, but I need some initial guidance on what is most important and
what information sources are good.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Jerry Stuckle

Mar 13, 2016, 9:49:06 PM3/13/16
Do you want basic PHP information, or WordPress? They are two entirely
different subjects. PHP information can be found in the PHP manual and
is appropriate here. WordPress is an entirely different subject and
should be pursued in WordPress-related forums.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Mar 14, 2016, 9:03:23 AM3/14/16
Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> I am just getting into PHP via WordPress. Any advice for good
> information sources out there?

Probably.

> I am quite willing to put in my study time, but I need some initial
> guidance on what is most important and what information sources are good.

If you are looking for good resources on PHP, RTFineM first. STFW for “php
faq”, and reading StackOverflow questions tagged “php” is also a good idea.
Last but not least, read here regularly.

If you are looking for good resources on WordPress, look elsewhere.

--
PointedEars
Zend Certified PHP Engineer

Arno Welzel

Mar 14, 2016, 10:28:18 AM3/14/16
Gene Wirchenko schrieb am 2016-03-14 um 02:21:

> I am just getting into PHP via WordPress. Any advice for good
> information sources out there? I am quite willing to put in my study
> time, but I need some initial guidance on what is most important and
> what information sources are good.

Without any further information about your background and exiting
knowledge in other languages I just can recommend the official
documentation and one "guide for Dummies" as a quick start:

PHP:

<http://php.net/manual/en/>
<http://www.dummies.com/how-to/computers-software/programming/php.html>

WordPress:

<https://codex.wordpress.org/>

--
Arno Welzel
http://arnowelzel.de

Gene Wirchenko

Mar 16, 2016, 4:33:23 PM3/16/16
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 21:49:06 -0400, Jerry Stuckle
<jstu...@attglobal.net> wrote:

>On 3/13/2016 9:21 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I am just getting into PHP via WordPress. Any advice for good
>> information sources out there? I am quite willing to put in my study
>> time, but I need some initial guidance on what is most important and
>> what information sources are good.

>Do you want basic PHP information, or WordPress? They are two entirely
>different subjects. PHP information can be found in the PHP manual and
>is appropriate here. WordPress is an entirely different subject and
>should be pursued in WordPress-related forums.

PHP as applied to WordPress.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Jerry Stuckle

Mar 16, 2016, 5:09:50 PM3/16/16
So according to you, since Windows is written in C, so I should be
asking my Windows questions in a C newsgroup?

Gene Wirchenko

Mar 16, 2016, 5:39:18 PM3/16/16
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 21:03:51 +0000, Tim Streater
<timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:

>In article <9ngjeblpds7vgj4t2...@4ax.com>, Gene Wirchenko
>What does that mean? PHP is PHP, however you slice it.

There are probably things to consider when using PHP under
WordPress which would not apply or be the case in other environments.
I want to know about those things.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Jerry Stuckle

Mar 16, 2016, 6:12:50 PM3/16/16
Then you should be asking in a WordPress group.

Arno Welzel

Mar 17, 2016, 3:31:33 AM3/17/16
Gene Wirchenko schrieb am 2016-03-16 um 22:39:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 21:03:51 +0000, Tim Streater
[...]
>> What does that mean? PHP is PHP, however you slice it.
>
> There are probably things to consider when using PHP under
> WordPress which would not apply or be the case in other environments.
> I want to know about those things.

No - there aren't such things. PHP works the same in WordPress as it
does in any other PHP based application.