PHP 5.5 and Windows XP

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Nov 17, 2012, 7:33:29 AM11/17/12
PHP 5.5 will no longer support Windows XP.
Is there a way to still get it running on Windows XP?

Greetings,
Thomas

--
Ce n'est pas parce qu'ils sont nombreux à avoir tort qu'ils ont raison!
(Coluche)

J.O. Aho

Nov 17, 2012, 9:49:56 AM11/17/12
On 17/11/12 13:33, Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
> PHP 5.5 will no longer support Windows XP.

First of all, I don't care much for ms-windows support, so I'm not the
ideal person to answer the question.

> Is there a way to still get it running on Windows XP?

I guess they have decided to go for VS2012 MSVCRT, which do not have XP
version, but there is a rumour that there will be a ms-win-XP version
post-RTM patch, if this true then you can get PHP 5.5 to run on ms-win-XP.

You have of course the option to upgrade the OS, there are quite many
suggested at the distrowatch.com, you could install something like
cygwin or similar and build php for that environment (I think this will
break all IIS dependencies you may have in your set up) or you could
install a VM (using VirtualBox or similar) which runs another operating
system (legal options can be downloaded with help of links at
distrowatch.com, or illegal versions of later ms-win can be found with
help of piratebay.se).

Luuk

Nov 17, 2012, 10:10:02 AM11/17/12
On 17-11-2012 15:49, J.O. Aho wrote:
> distrowatch.com, or illegal versions of later ms-win can be found with
> help of piratebay.se).

no, i cannot, my provider is blocking piratebay

http://www.xs4all.nl/geblokkeerd/
(sorry, its in Dutch...)

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Nov 17, 2012, 10:28:02 AM11/17/12
J.O. Aho schrieb:

> I guess they have decided to go for VS2012 MSVCRT, which do not have XP
> version, but there is a rumour that there will be a ms-win-XP version
> post-RTM patch, if this true then you can get PHP 5.5 to run on ms-win-XP.

So there's still hope for me ;-)
Do you have a source for that rumour?

Thanks & greetings,

Luuk

Nov 17, 2012, 10:40:09 AM11/17/12
On 17-11-2012 16:28, Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
> J.O. Aho schrieb:
>
>> I guess they have decided to go for VS2012 MSVCRT, which do not have
>> XP version, but there is a rumour that there will be a ms-win-XP
>> version post-RTM patch, if this true then you can get PHP 5.5 to run
>> on ms-win-XP.
>
> So there's still hope for me ;-)
> Do you have a source for that rumour?
>
> Thanks & greetings,
> Thomas

no, there's no hope,
officially they (php) stop supporting XP.....

It should be a warning to all users (=sysadmins) to stop using the old
version, and try to get a newer version asap.

J.O. Aho

Nov 17, 2012, 11:24:17 AM11/17/12

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4234117

--

//Aho

Markus Grob

Nov 17, 2012, 11:27:07 AM11/17/12
Thomas Mlynarczyk schrieb:
> PHP 5.5 will no longer support Windows XP.
> Is there a way to still get it running on Windows XP?

I think, it could be that there will be a version which is running on
XP, but without security patches you don't wonna use XP any more. If you
only wonna have it for testing at home, it will be better to test it
with a linux on a separate drive or boot it from a live dvd or like me,
use it in a vm (you can get it free in the net).

Greetings from Switzerland, Markus

J.O. Aho

Nov 17, 2012, 11:30:02 AM11/17/12
On 17/11/12 16:40, Luuk wrote:
> On 17-11-2012 16:28, Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
>> J.O. Aho schrieb:
>>
>>> I guess they have decided to go for VS2012 MSVCRT, which do not have
>>> XP version, but there is a rumour that there will be a ms-win-XP
>>> version post-RTM patch, if this true then you can get PHP 5.5 to run
>>> on ms-win-XP.
>>
>> So there's still hope for me ;-)
>> Do you have a source for that rumour?
>
> no, there's no hope,
> officially they (php) stop supporting XP.....
>
> It should be a warning to all users (=sysadmins) to stop using the old
> version, and try to get a newer version asap.

If you are a sysadmin and use ms-win-XP to run services ain't really
sysadmins and those will not upgrade unless someone really would make
this real:

http://www.twoguys.org/~gregh/ms/msmktg.jpg

--

//Aho

Luuk

Nov 17, 2012, 11:48:07 AM11/17/12
you have the 'old' picture....

a 'newer' (but also 'old' one) is here:
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Windowsvistamarketing.jpg

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Nov 17, 2012, 2:04:01 PM11/17/12
Luuk schrieb:
> officially they (php) stop supporting XP.....
> It should be a warning to all users (=sysadmins) to stop using the old
> version, and try to get a newer version asap.

My development computer has been running Windows XP happily for about 6
years now and although at some point in the future there will certainly
be an upgrade or replacement I see no sense in switching to another OS
just because otherwise I cannot test/develop using PHP 5.5. Especially
since it really shouldn't be such a big deal for the PHP team to
continue supporting WinXP (correct me if I'm wrong).

Greetings,
Thomas

--
Ce n'est pas parce qu'ils sont nombreux ᅵ avoir tort qu'ils ont raison!
(Coluche)

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Nov 17, 2012, 2:04:28 PM11/17/12
J.O. Aho schrieb:
>> Do you have a source for that rumour?
> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4234117

Thanks :-)

Greetings,
Thomas

--
Ce n'est pas parce qu'ils sont nombreux ᅵ avoir tort qu'ils ont raison!
(Coluche)

Jerry Stuckle

Nov 17, 2012, 2:44:40 PM11/17/12
On 11/17/2012 2:04 PM, Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
> Luuk schrieb:
>> officially they (php) stop supporting XP.....
>> It should be a warning to all users (=sysadmins) to stop using the old
>> version, and try to get a newer version asap.
>
> My development computer has been running Windows XP happily for about 6
> years now and although at some point in the future there will certainly
> be an upgrade or replacement I see no sense in switching to another OS
> just because otherwise I cannot test/develop using PHP 5.5. Especially
> since it really shouldn't be such a big deal for the PHP team to
> continue supporting WinXP (correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Greetings,
> Thomas

Although I upgraded to Windows 7 over two years ago, I have to agree
with you. Windows XP SP3 support doesn't end until April 8, 2014. As
long as it is supported, I would expect developers to support it, also.

However, it *could* be a big deal for the PHP team to support Windows
XP. It all depends on the features of VS2012 they need. Some may not
be available in earlier versions.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

The Natural Philosopher

Nov 17, 2012, 4:31:59 PM11/17/12
On 17/11/12 19:04, Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
> Luuk schrieb:
>> officially they (php) stop supporting XP.....
>> It should be a warning to all users (=sysadmins) to stop using the old
>> version, and try to get a newer version asap.
>
> My development computer has been running Windows XP happily for about 6
> years now and although at some point in the future there will certainly
> be an upgrade or replacement I see no sense in switching to another OS
> just because otherwise I cannot test/develop using PHP 5.5. Especially
> since it really shouldn't be such a big deal for the PHP team to
> continue supporting WinXP (correct me if I'm wrong).

You are wrong
Stand corrected :-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Nov 17, 2012, 11:14:36 PM11/17/12
Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:

> Luuk schrieb:
>> officially they (php) stop supporting XP.....
>> It should be a warning to all users (=sysadmins) to stop using the old
>> version, and try to get a newer version asap.
>
> My development computer has been running Windows XP happily for about 6
> years now and although at some point in the future there will certainly be
> an upgrade or replacement

Which should be when you read this posting. The reason why there would be
no Windows XP support for newer PHP versions would be because Windows XP is
not supported by Microsoft anymore on machines that can reasonably run PHP.

Windows XP has reached its end-of-life on 2009-04-14, the latest Service
Pack (3) was released 2008-04-21. So there are no patches and no Service
Packs for those systems anymore.

<http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+XP&Filter=FilterNO>

> I see no sense in switching to another OS just because otherwise I cannot
> test/develop using PHP 5.5.

Then do not use PHP 5.5. You can't have the cake and eat it too. You can
have either a four-year-old legacy system full of security leaks or an
up-to-date PHP version. PHP 5.3 will probably be supported until your
Windows XP machine will be finally comprised by a cracker or malware, or
becomes unusable out of sheer hardware failure or inadequacy.

And what good would do to test applications using PHP 5.5 on a Windows XP
system? Who in their right mind is still running a Web server on Windows XP
these days? I really do not see your point.

> Especially since it really shouldn't be such a big deal for the PHP team
> to continue supporting WinXP (correct me if I'm wrong).

[x] done

PointedEars
--
> If you get a bunch of authors […] that state the same "best practices"
> in any programming language, then you can bet who is wrong or right...
Not with javascript. Nonsense propagates like wildfire in this field.
-- Richard Cornford, comp.lang.javascript, 2011-11-14

Jerry Stuckle

Nov 18, 2012, 8:40:34 AM11/18/12
On 11/17/2012 11:14 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
>
>> Luuk schrieb:
>>> officially they (php) stop supporting XP.....
>>> It should be a warning to all users (=sysadmins) to stop using the old
>>> version, and try to get a newer version asap.
>>
>> My development computer has been running Windows XP happily for about 6
>> years now and although at some point in the future there will certainly be
>> an upgrade or replacement
>
> Which should be when you read this posting. The reason why there would be
> no Windows XP support for newer PHP versions would be because Windows XP is
> not supported by Microsoft anymore on machines that can reasonably run PHP.
>
> Windows XP has reached its end-of-life on 2009-04-14, the latest Service
> Pack (3) was released 2008-04-21. So there are no patches and no Service
> Packs for those systems anymore.
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+XP&Filter=FilterNO>

Once again you can't read.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx, Pointed Head.

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Nov 18, 2012, 12:08:44 PM11/18/12
Jerry Stuckle schrieb:

> Windows XP SP3 support doesn't end until April 8, 2014. As
> long as it is supported, I would expect developers to support it, also.

So I will just wait and see. Either they'll support it or I will have
upgraded my system by then or :-(

> However, it *could* be a big deal for the PHP team to support Windows
> XP. It all depends on the features of VS2012 they need. Some may not
> be available in earlier versions.

Well, if it's a big deal then of course it is understandable that they
drop support for older versions of Windows.

Thanks & greetings,
Thomas

--
Ce n'est pas parce qu'ils sont nombreux à avoir tort qu'ils ont raison!
(Coluche)

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Nov 18, 2012, 12:10:39 PM11/18/12
The Natural Philosopher schrieb:
[Supporting WinXP shouldn't be a big deal]
> You are wrong
> Stand corrected :-)

If you say so ;-)

Greetings,
Thomas

--
Ce n'est pas parce qu'ils sont nombreux à avoir tort qu'ils ont raison!
(Coluche)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Nov 18, 2012, 1:02:21 PM11/18/12
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> On 11/17/2012 11:14 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
>>>
>>> My development computer has been running Windows XP happily for about 6
>>> years now and although at some point in the future there will certainly
>>> be an upgrade or replacement
>>
>> Which should be when you read this posting. The reason why there would
>> be no Windows XP support for newer PHP versions would be because Windows
>> XP is not supported by Microsoft anymore on machines that can reasonably
>> run PHP.
>>
>> Windows XP has reached its end-of-life on 2009-04-14, the latest Service
>> Pack (3) was released 2008-04-21. So there are no patches and no Service
>> Packs for those systems anymore.

<http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+XP&Filter=FilterNO>

> Once again you can't read.
> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx, […]

Unsurprisingly, again it is you who cannot read. What you can see at the
resource referred by you, by contrast to what was referred by me before, is
the *Joe User information* of *Extended* Support for Windows XP, which also
considers Windows XP on systems that cannot reasonably run PHP, such as
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Extended Support for Windows XP
Embedded even ends 2016-01-12.

That does not mean it would be wise to wait until then with the upgrade (or
the switch to another OS in general) as a PHP developer or admin of a server
that is running PHP.

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16

Jerry Stuckle

Nov 18, 2012, 3:27:11 PM11/18/12
Wrong answer, as usual. And BTW, even Windows XP Embedded will run PHP.
But I know you don't understand that, either.

> That does not mean it would be wise to wait until then with the upgrade (or
> the switch to another OS in general) as a PHP developer or admin of a server
> that is running PHP.
>

> PointedEars

No reason to spend hundreds of dollars and several days rebuilding a
system because a Pointed Head says you should upgrade prematurely.

And yes, I do say several days. It took me over 3 days to rebuild a
development system when I upgraded to Windows 7. I had over 200Gb of
additional software on it.

Peter H. Coffin

Nov 18, 2012, 6:22:53 PM11/18/12
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 18:08:44 +0100, Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:

> Jerry Stuckle schrieb:
>
>> Windows XP SP3 support doesn't end until April 8, 2014. As long as it
>> is supported, I would expect developers to support it, also.
>
> So I will just wait and see. Either they'll support it or I will have
> upgraded my system by then or :-(

Oh for... Just spend the E$250 and get a beige box with a Win 7 OEM
install on it. I'm sure it'll run four times as fast as the P4 does and
come with twice the memory. If it's critical to your development to
have PHP 5.5, it's a tiny price to pay and you're well past the point
that you should be using something coming up on three major release old
anyway.

--
66. My security keypad will actually be a fingerprint scanner. Anyone
who watches someone press a sequence of buttons or dusts the pad

ns.e...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2017, 12:22:50 PM4/30/17
Thomas Mlynarczyk you may want to check http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19448894/how-to-install-php-5-5-on-winxp in reference to your question and I agree there is a huge differene in the benchmarks of webservers running on the modern Microsoft operating systems Windows XP and Windows Server 2013 which unfortunately have been dumped are still rock solid in performance vs the latest releases as for the security you may also consider the unofficial windows xp sp4 update wich might help you in securing your system and a decent firewall and antivirus should also do wonders.

Hope it works out for you.

regards,
Nadir Shah

ns.e...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2017, 12:40:39 PM4/30/17
On Saturday, 17 November 2012 17:33:29 UTC+5, Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
Also check this out
http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=6334

Jerry Stuckle

Apr 30, 2017, 1:45:14 PM4/30/17
Replying to a post over 4 years old that refers to an OS and a version
of PHP that are no longer supported?

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstu...@attglobal.net

Thomas Mlynarczyk

May 1, 2017, 2:10:09 PM5/1/17
On 30/04/17 18:22, ns.e...@gmail.com wrote:

> Thomas Mlynarczyk you may want to check http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19448894/how-to-install-php-5-5-on-winxp in reference to your question and I agree there is a huge differene in the benchmarks of webservers running on the modern Microsoft operating systems Windows XP and Windows Server 2013 which unfortunately have been dumped are still rock solid in performance vs the latest releases as for the security you may also consider the unofficial windows xp sp4 update wich might help you in securing your system and a decent firewall and antivirus should also do wonders.
>
> Hope it works out for you.

Thank you for your answer. I solved the problem about two years ago --
by switching to Linux Mint :-)