my question about inspecting Lisp code in Emacs

Bigos

Mar 16, 2017, 9:20:55 AM3/16/17
video can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMMAtrLUp4

When I use Emacs menu Slime/Debugging/Inspect
I get few rough edges. The polished version would allow me just to press
a key shortcut and inspect a quoted symbol. At the moment I have to
select the menu item and quote the symbol and press Enter, or press C-c
I and then quote the symbol and press Enter.

Can it be done in one key chord?

Madhu

Mar 16, 2017, 12:29:08 PM3/16/17

* Bigos <oae3fi$1u32$1...@gioia.aioe.org> :
Wrote on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:20:51 +0000:

| video
[didn't see]

| The polished version would allow me just to press a key shortcut and
| inspect a quoted symbol. At the moment I have to select the menu item
| and quote the symbol and press Enter, or press C-c I and then quote
| the symbol and press Enter.
|
| Can it be done in one key chord?

If the point is on a symbol (or the beginning of an expression), "C-c i"
should present the symbol as the default value when prompting for the
expression, so you just have to hit Return. At least with slime from
2012. Conceptually that's two keystrokes. See M-. slime-inspect.

Some debuggers do not display fully qualified symbols. In these case you
have qualify the package before hitting Return.

But once in the debugger or inspector, there are so many superfluous
keystrokes just to use it, (to get back to a previous position, to
expand or collapse some item), and you have to keep doing it again and
again. The UI for both sldb and the inspector are simply not fixable.

Bigos

Mar 16, 2017, 6:15:13 PM3/16/17
On my machine C-c i is bound to something else projectile related.
Also a quick look at the slime.el file didn't help. I was hoping to find
which emacs function I should use in my key binding imitating the
behavior you mentioned.