Do lispers have distain for other stuff because it is so pathetic?

Gavino himself

Mar 14, 2017, 5:22:41 AM3/14/17
I mean I look at the stuff people are using:
mongodb
cassandra
aws
oracle
java
jboss
jenkins
chef
centos
git
solid stae drives over large banks of cheap raid 10 scsi
jira
agile

its no wonder software is cancelling the advances in hardware as david may said in mays law

just friggin pathetic

ogp...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2017, 11:17:08 AM3/15/17
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 2:22:41 AM UTC-7, Gavino himself wrote:
> I mean I look at the stuff people are using:

> its no wonder software is cancelling the advances in hardware as david may said in mays law

An explanation of May's law is that as hardware improves, we naturally want to use it more to get more out of it; therefore, total spending on hardware does not decrease even though unit cost of computation does. Some similar effect also occurs with software. Small improvements in software, although they do not eliminate all the negative consequences of software, nonetheless cause us to use more software more often. Given that, we cannot expect that
improvements in software decrease the sum total of the negative consequences of software.

Gavino himself

Mar 15, 2017, 6:17:04 PM3/15/17
I had a 4meg ram machine running windows 3.1 and surfed the net in 90s
not much has changed i now hve 16000 meg ram

its not 4000x faster

tar...@google.com

Mar 17, 2017, 5:48:08 PM3/17/17
RAM is of course not directly related to network speed at all. It is a memory measure.

In the 90s, dial-ups were at about 56kbps. Today you can get 300Mbps or 300000kbps. Looks like that is about 6000x faster.

paul wallich

Mar 18, 2017, 9:07:19 AM3/18/17
Unfortunately site designers who used to count every kilobyte to save
time on downloads now think nothing of multi-megabyte pages (with bits
included from multiple sites with layers of indirection so that a
browser has to load and execute one piece before fetching the next). And
browsers themselves have become bloated. It's not uncommon for a single
page to consume tens of megabytes and a full set of windows and tabs to
consume gigabytes (in which case RAM does indeed become a measure of
speed again as swapping starts).

Network speed is a big part of the equation, but not the only part.

paul

Dimitri Fontaine

Mar 18, 2017, 10:22:50 AM3/18/17

See http://prog21.dadgum.com/116.html on that topic.