A New Lisp Programming Group Proposal (new ways to program and collaborate)

CAI GENGYANG

Jul 7, 2016, 2:02:10 AM7/7/16
Hi, after reading Paul Graham's RFS, I just had an idea if anyone here is open to suggestions :

Personally I find it really slow going learning Lisp alone, asking for help and communicating through listservs with strangers , (sometimes things are lost in translation / can't understand each other / different levels of understanding (some people have been programming for 20 years, others just started / different accents etc)

My idea is that we form a small group where we can meet and interact in person or live over the internet (an online group meeting so to speak) maybe 2 hours everyday or something to do mutual learning / interaction / debugging / collaboration ... otherwise this is really slow going (at least for me). If this works out .... it could help a ton of other newbies and users in the future.

I currently live in Singapore and my email is gengy...@gmail.com. Shoot me a message if anyone is interested in forming such a group. This is a serious proposal for anyone genuinely keen on getting into programming full-time.

Regards,

Gengyang

CAI GENGYANG

Jul 7, 2016, 10:15:20 AM7/7/16
Hi all,

Got 1 response from Adisoft saying that he's interested. My idea is to meetup with a team of maybe 3-4 Lisp hackers a few times each week for maybe 2 hours per session and just work on stuff, sit side by side and build interesting software programs together as well as help each other debug / learn . It would be great if there is a good mix of experienced and newbie Lisp programmers. This would be good for everyone and also help other new users in the future master the language. Personally i'm kinda of a slow learner and like to have good friends working side by side , learning and doing software together. This could even become the foundation of a very successful startup idea itself ... a group / school that helps to evangelise Lisp and educate users on this powerful language. Lisp is really hard, and any help and collaboration is appreciated ...

Bigos

Jul 7, 2016, 10:48:29 AM7/7/16
I'm interested

Jens Kallup

Jul 7, 2016, 1:09:43 PM7/7/16
I'am intressting in, too.
I have create a IRCc - Internet Relay Chat channel on:

EuIrc.eu:6667
#dbase
There, you can see me as paule32.

I working on a language, that should help me to produce other programs
int the path of AI, or module programming (modules based on parent
module(s), which can extend).
Basicaly, I working on an IDE/GUI Programming Environment.
I use C++ boost::spirit for lex/parse source.
First, I have play a little bit with bison, and flex/yacc in C, this
tools are fast, but limited - because the stacked memory.
In spirit, theoreticaly you can use all computer memory, but it is
limited by physics, and OS.
Currently, I work under 64-Bit Intel with 4 GB Ram.

Jens

Jens Kallup

Jul 7, 2016, 1:47:43 PM7/7/16
Sorry, Update ...

Am 07.07.2016 um 19:09 schrieb Jens Kallup:
> EuIrc.eu:6667
> #dbase
> There, you can see me as paule32.

irc.euirc.net
#dbase

paule32

z0ltan

Jul 7, 2016, 4:11:23 PM7/7/16
That sounds like a good idea. I am also interested. I count myself as a quick learner, but I am a newbie Lisper. Please update us as and when you get some tangible updates on this plan!

Cheers.

CAI GENGYANG

Jul 8, 2016, 1:29:51 AM7/8/16
Hi guys, I'm glad to see such a huge response. Up till now, there are 4 persons interested in forming such a group. Including me, that's 5 users ... really great for a start.

Somehow I can't seem to download and install IRC on my laptop at the moment (it keeps saying : Safari can’t open the file “mirc745-6.exe” because no available application can open it.)

Here are some other options:

--- I have a Kiwi IRC account called CaiGengYang, currently in the KiwiIRC-default room. We could use that ... its pretty easy and free to create an account.

--- I also have a KGS (Kiseido Go Server) 2 dan account called GengYang which i use regularly to play Go and chat with other users

This is my proposal : For our first meeting, we physically meetup as a group in a predetermined location (we could do it in Singapore or any other country, except for America at the moment where I was denied a student visa a few years back due to poor academic results and dropping out of school too many times (which I hope to eventually overturn by proving that I my personal circumstances have improved --- a personal issue that I can let you know if you wanna know more, a story for another time perhaps ) and then discuss our agenda, goals and how we are going to go about achieving them. Are you all free next week ? (perhaps Friday or weekends)

Anyone else here a Paul Graham fan ?

http://www.paulgraham.com/googles.html

Mark Simpson

Jul 8, 2016, 7:06:19 AM7/8/16

Gengyang (et al):

Not directly what you are looking for - but perhaps of interest:

exercism.io is a site that helps people learn programming languages and
their idioms by coding small exercises and then getting feedback from
others. They have tracks for many languages
(http://exercism.io/languages) including of possible
interest here: Common Lisp, Scheme, Elisp, Clojure, LFE.

I am the maintainer of the Common Lisp track
(http://exercism.io/languages/lisp).

Ciao
Mark

Jens Kallup

Jul 8, 2016, 7:36:17 AM7/8/16
Am 08.07.2016 um 07:29 schrieb CAI GENGYANG:
> Hi guys, I'm glad to see such a huge response. Up till now, there are 4 persons interested in forming such a group. Including me, that's 5 users ... really great for a start.
>
> Somehow I can't seem to download and install IRC on my laptop at the moment (it keeps saying : Safari can’t open the file “mirc745-6.exe” because no available application can open it.)
>
> Here are some other options:
>
> --- I have a Kiwi IRC account called CaiGengYang,

My supported IRC client can be xchat - for windows & Linux - for free.
Or Mirc.exe - Windows - commercial

Jens

Jens Kallup

Jul 8, 2016, 8:14:57 AM7/8/16
Update:

you do not need KiWi / xchat / mIRC.
Only Thunderbird - the free Linux/Windows E-Mail
client, that can be used for sending/recieving E-Mails,
write to Newsgroups, load IRC session.
That is fantastic.

And, Thunderbird can be extend by AddOns...

Jens

paul wallich

Jul 8, 2016, 10:19:49 AM7/8/16
On 7/8/16 8:14 AM, Jens Kallup wrote:
> Update:
>
> you do not need KiWi / xchat / mIRC.
> Only Thunderbird - the free Linux/Windows E-Mail
> client, that can be used for sending/recieving E-Mails,
> write to Newsgroups, load IRC session.
> That is fantastic.

Thunderbird also works on MacOS (it's what I'm using right now). Which
might be useful for Cai Gengyang, if the Safari reference indicates a mac.

paul

Jens Kallup

Jul 8, 2016, 12:06:57 PM7/8/16
Hello Paul,

Am 08.07.2016 um 16:19 schrieb paul wallich:

> Thunderbird also works on MacOS (it's what I'm using right now).
> Which might be useful for Cai Gengyang, if the Safari reference
> indicates a mac.

If so, you can check the Qt5 cross platform framework.
It is available for Linux, Mac, and Windows.
With it, you can create fantastic Desktop Applications
with few lines of code.
So I have implement a code-editor and a form-designer.
You can check out it at:

https://github.com/paule32/dBase

you are welcome in my #dbase channel on irc.euirc.net:6667/5
or on my e-mail: jka...@web.de.

please don't worry about the time difference.
sometimes I go away from keyboard :-)

Good days...

> paul

Jens

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Jul 8, 2016, 3:26:40 PM7/8/16
CAI GENGYANG <gengy...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guys, I'm glad to see such a huge response. Up till now, there are
> 4 persons interested in forming such a group. Including me, that's 5
> users ... really great for a start.
>
> Somehow I can't seem to download and install IRC on my laptop at the
> moment (it keeps saying : Safari can’t open the file “mirc745-6.exe”
> because no available application can open it.)

If you have a MacOSX system, can you explain us why you are trying to
execute a MS-Windows program on it?

> --- I have a Kiwi IRC account called CaiGengYang, currently in the
> KiwiIRC-default room. We could use that ... its pretty easy and free
> to create an account.

Just type:

/server irc.freenode.org
/join #clnoobs

and go read:

http://cliki.net/IRC

CAI GENGYANG

Jul 8, 2016, 4:12:36 PM7/8/16
I have no idea why , but clicking on the irc.freenode.org link on my laptop gets me to a "redirecting" page ... it loads till about 15% of the status bar for about 30 seconds, then gives a "Safari Can't Open The Page" error message. I'm going to try this on my desktop later to see if it works ..

CAI GENGYANG

Jul 10, 2016, 2:25:42 AM7/10/16
Ok I I created a new account on http://exercism.io --- what do I do next ?

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Jul 13, 2016, 2:40:13 PM7/13/16
CAI GENGYANG <gengy...@gmail.com> writes:

> I have no idea why , but clicking on the irc.freenode.org link on my
> laptop gets me to a "redirecting" page ... it loads till about 15% of
> the status bar for about 30 seconds, then gives a "Safari Can't Open
> The Page" error message. I'm going to try this on my desktop later to
> see if it works ..

You should use a real irc client, not the web.

Try Colloquy http://colloquy.info
or LimeChat http://limechat.net/mac/
or Textual https://www.codeux.com
etc

Leytzher Muro

Jul 17, 2016, 7:52:25 AM7/17/16
I am interested too.
I live in Brunei.

CAI GENGYANG

Jul 25, 2016, 6:33:29 AM7/25/16
Is anyone free to meetup , maybe next weekend ? Meet physically in person as a group to get to know each other ?