OT - advanced sales website sought

Philip Herlihy

May 2, 2017, 6:32:13 PM5/2/17
I have a friend who runs a growing furniture business. One of his lines
is a modular bookcase, where small units, boxes in different woods, are
stacked up in a variety of possible configurations.

He wants a website where visitors can choose from various modules, and
stack them visually, rearranging them until they have what they want.
Ideally it would calculate overall dimensions, and cost, and ideally-
ideally give a 3D view (animated?).

I've seen and used some pretty smart architectural software that does
stuff like this, though as an application rather than a website. This
is *way* beyond my coding knowledge, and I assume it would be best done
using some platform with these abilities, customised for the particular
product. Anyone have any idea where he might get something like this,
or get it built at a reasonable cost?

Apologies if this is felt to be OT, but I don't know where else to ask!
--

Phil, London

Doc O'Leary

May 3, 2017, 3:54:32 PM5/3/17
For your reference, records indicate that
Philip Herlihy <thiswillb...@you.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any idea where he might get something like this,
> or get it built at a reasonable cost?

Without supplying a definition of “reasonable cost” in this context,
the only answer you’ll get is: It cannot be done. Custom software
is not cheap. Software needs ongoing maintenance. Web-based
software doubly so.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Philip Herlihy

May 4, 2017, 5:39:20 AM5/4/17
In article <oedcbg$gmd$1...@dont-email.me>, droleary@
2017usenet1.subsume.com says...

> For your reference, records indicate that
> Philip Herlihy <thiswillb...@you.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any idea where he might get something like this,
> > or get it built at a reasonable cost?
>
> Without supplying a definition of ?reasonable cost? in this context,
> the only answer you?ll get is: It cannot be done. Custom software
> is not cheap. Software needs ongoing maintenance. Web-based
> software doubly so.

I have to say that I don't think your contribution adds anything useful
to this. Modern software is componentised; I'm not seeking something
wholly new. I'm simply asking if any of the helpful folk on these
groups know of anything I might follow up.

--

Phil, London

Evertjan.

May 4, 2017, 8:52:09 AM5/4/17
Philip Herlihy <thiswillb...@you.com> wrote on 04 May 2017 in
comp.lang.javascript:

> I'm not seeking something
> wholly new. I'm simply asking if any of the helpful folk on these
> groups know of anything I might follow up.

These NGs are usenet discussion-goups, NOT helpdesks.

You have no right to deside what responses you don't want.

Placing OT postings is not done according to Netiquette, btw.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Doc O'Leary

May 4, 2017, 10:57:14 AM5/4/17
For your reference, records indicate that
Philip Herlihy <thiswillb...@you.com> wrote:

> I have to say that I don't think your contribution adds anything useful
> to this. Modern software is componentised; I'm not seeking something
> wholly new. I'm simply asking if any of the helpful folk on these
> groups know of anything I might follow up.

If the world seems unhelpful, perhaps you should reflect on what *your*
contribution of “anything useful” is. You certainly *still* haven’t
disclosed what you deem to be a reasonable cost. You definitely
haven’t given a problem broken down to the level of reusable components.
Nobody even knows what you’re running on the server side of things. The
best anyone can probably do with the information you’ve given is point
you to something like <https://threejs.org>. Everything else is work,
and you’ve not made it clear that you’re willing to pay a reasonable
wage.

Philip Herlihy

May 5, 2017, 6:50:15 AM5/5/17
In article <oeffa1$h9f$1...@dont-email.me>, droleary@
2017usenet1.subsume.com says...

> For your reference, records indicate that
> Philip Herlihy <thiswillb...@you.com> wrote:
>
> > I have to say that I don't think your contribution adds anything useful
> > to this. Modern software is componentised; I'm not seeking something
> > wholly new. I'm simply asking if any of the helpful folk on these
> > groups know of anything I might follow up.
>
> If the world seems unhelpful, perhaps you should reflect on what *your*
> contribution of ?anything useful? is. You certainly *still* haven?t
> disclosed what you deem to be a reasonable cost. You definitely
> haven?t given a problem broken down to the level of reusable components.
> Nobody even knows what you?re running on the server side of things. The
> best anyone can probably do with the information you?ve given is point
> you to something like <https://threejs.org>. Everything else is work,
> and you?ve not made it clear that you?re willing to pay a reasonable
> wage.

Thank you; the reference is useful, helpful, and very interesting, and
definitely in the right direction. I've no experience whatever of this
gaming/visualisation area, so simply being able to pick up on the
vocabulary used is of value. Much appreciated. Ultimately we'll be
looking for someone to build the "configurator" my friend needs, but so
far I've struggled to know what to ask for and where to ask it.

--

Phil, London

Flng Fck

May 5, 2017, 10:32:12 AM5/5/17
Il 05/05/2017 12:50, Philip Herlihy ha scritto:
> Thank you; the reference is useful, helpful, and very interesting, and
> definitely in the right direction. I've no experience whatever of this
> gaming/visualisation area, so simply being able to pick up on the
> vocabulary used is of value. Much appreciated. Ultimately we'll be
> looking for someone to build the "configurator" my friend needs, but so
> far I've struggled to know what to ask for and where to ask it.

Did you try browsing some furniture businesses webstes? I'm sure there's
already someone out there offering some kind of configurator to
potential customers, just find the ones you like and contact the
software houses that created those websites. Just search for "furniture
configurator" or "kitchen configurator" and so on

Philip Herlihy

May 6, 2017, 6:14:45 AM5/6/17
In article <oei274$vsu$1...@dont-email.me>, noth...@invalid.invalid
says...
Thanks, I'll try that. Meanwhile, another respondent** drew my
attention to the three.js library, which looks so intriguing that I
might end up having a go myself at some point!

**Replies to this thread were supposed to end up on
comp.infosystem.www.authoring.html (using the Followup-to header) just
to stop my multi-posted thread ticking off any more people than it had
to!

--

Phil, London