Max size file

jonas.t...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2017, 9:17:59 AM9/22/17
What is the maxfile size load/save "local file" in javascript?
I guess it is unlimited if you upload via PHP to a database?

Evertjan.

Sep 22, 2017, 1:26:21 PM9/22/17
jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote on 22 Sep 2017 in comp.lang.javascript:

> What is the maxfile size load/save "local file" in javascript?

Define: '"local file" in javascript'.

Do you mean in a browser? Which browser?

> I guess it is unlimited if you upload via PHP to a database?

Then that wouldn't be a "local" file, but a serverside file.

PHP is a language, btw: "via a language"???

Why and how would you want to put a file into a [serverside] database?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

jonas.t...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2017, 11:37:43 AM9/23/17
Den fredag 22 september 2017 kl. 19:26:21 UTC+2 skrev Evertjan.:
> jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote on 22 Sep 2017 in comp.lang.javascript:
>
> > What is the maxfile size load/save "local file" in javascript?
>
> Define: '"local file" in javascript'.
Read from, write to local hdd

> Do you mean in a browser? Which browser?

Well lets say Chrome it seem popular

> > I guess it is unlimited if you upload via PHP to a database?
>
> Then that wouldn't be a "local" file, but a serverside file.
>
> PHP is a language, btw: "via a language"???

PHP is a serverside scriptlanguage similar ASP, i mostly generated HTML pages for database connectivity, but with the advance of javascript graphics it probably could act as a hub doing interconnect users for gaming or AI projects.

> Why and how would you want to put a file into a [serverside] database?

You are correct it probably would be a relational database of sort but as i get it they do not bransch that deep, how many branches can a DB like mySQL handle?

So maybe my little file could be used as a DB of sort, "i am clueless to some extent how" i just learned howto connect PHP to a database am not sure it can output to a file.

jonas.t...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2017, 11:44:59 AM9/23/17
Den fredag 22 september 2017 kl. 19:26:21 UTC+2 skrev Evertjan.:
Well a file is a database Jan Evert it is the procedure to read it out that is the DB engine. So my file is a very simple database. Without integrity and multiuser access.

Evertjan.

Sep 23, 2017, 12:02:23 PM9/23/17
jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote on 23 Sep 2017 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Den fredag 22 september 2017 kl. 19:26:21 UTC+2 skrev Evertjan.:
>> jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote on 22 Sep 2017 in comp.lang.javascript:
>>
>> > What is the maxfile size load/save "local file" in javascript?
>>
>> Define: '"local file" in javascript'.
>>
>> Do you mean in a browser? Which browser?
>>
>> > I guess it is unlimited if you upload via PHP to a database?
>>
>> Then that wouldn't be a "local" file, but a serverside file.
>>
>> PHP is a language, btw: "via a language"???
>>
>> Why and how would you want to put a file into a [serverside] database?
>>
>> --
>> Evertjan.
>
> Well a file is a database Jan Evert

That is NOT my name, Fone Ass.

No wonder you confuse
"uploding into a database"
with
"being a database".

> it is the procedure to read it out
> that is the DB engine.

No!!!! An "engine" is NOT a procedure, Johnny,
an engine is a structural or actual coding apparatus,
a procedure is a theoretical specification,
that an engine might follow in its execution.

> So my file is a very simple database. Without
> integrity and multiuser access.

A database without integrity is NOT a database,
because to call a file a database
it MUST have some applyable integrity-rules, Nass Jo.

You could even say that all files,
having usable content,
are databases,
so a corrupted database is not a database, Jo.

jonas.t...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2017, 12:10:01 PM9/23/17
Strange i always thought of a database as a set of relational records/datasets, the first databases was not multiuser and had no integrity rules?

Nowadays they have.

A database is an organized collection of data.[1] It is a collection of schemas, tables, queries, reports, views, and other objects.

I think you are wrong, it is the organisation of data into a tree by "threading" that constitute the database. The integrity and multiuser functionality come long after the first database. The database was about not needing empty properties in records, that was the original purpose "well and not have to read out data sequentially.

Am i wrong?

jonas.t...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2017, 12:15:31 PM9/23/17
Well i was wrong Jan, integrity was part of the early database approaches.

"The CODASYL approach relied on the "manual" navigation of a linked data set which was formed into a large network. Applications could find records by one of three methods:

Use of a primary key (known as a CALC key, typically implemented by hashing)

Navigating relationships (called sets) from one record to another

Scanning all the records in a sequential order"

I thought it was the linking that defined a database, apparently it used a key to create integrity right from start in a multiuser environment.

jonas.t...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2017, 12:26:10 PM9/23/17
No Jan Evert a file can not have any rules it has a format, the procedures that read out it the using the DB engine do have.

I can do an DB engine of my file it is easy just encrypt it using user privligies, the whole thing very easy. "It won't be the fastest databse.

Well what i try to say is the original DB engines was pretty rudimentary, you could code up on in a week. I could create one from my node network, i know about user privligies and transaction integrity. But i did not think it was part of the original database concept, i thought that was actually about the linking of datarecords/sets.

John-Paul Stewart

Sep 23, 2017, 3:20:21 PM9/23/17
On 22/09/17 09:17 AM, jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote:
> What is the maxfile size load/save "local file" in javascript?
> I guess it is unlimited if you upload via PHP to a database?

It's off-topic here, but there are limits imposed by PHP on
the size of each file (the upload_max_filesize configuration parameter)
and the overall size of a POST request (post_max_size). You would have
some control over those by tweaking the PHP configuration on your server.

There will also be limits imposed by whichever back-end database you
use, which would be harder to work around.

So it is definitely not "unlimited". Ask in a more appropriate
newsgroup, such as one about PHP or your database of choice, if you need
more details on any of those limits.

Evertjan.

Sep 23, 2017, 4:34:22 PM9/23/17
jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote on 23 Sep 2017 in comp.lang.javascript:
> I wrote:
>> A database without integrity is NOT a database,
>> because to call a file a database
>> it MUST have some applyable integrity-rules, Nass Jo.
>>
>> You could even say that all files,
>> having usable content,
>> are databases,
>> so a corrupted database is not a database, Jo.
>
> Strange i always thought of a database as a set of relational
> records/datasets, the first databases was not multiuser and had no
> integrity rules?

I did not talk about multi-user, even while a database does not mind in
itself what user uses it. If you mean concurrent use, that even now largely
depends on the knowledge of the programmer.

> Nowadays they have.

Well No, a working database cannot exist without integrety rules.

Even a file with just a single number in it is a database, btw.

> A database is an organized collection of data.[1]

Why the [1]?

What would a disorganised collection of data look like?
Something without integrety rules, perhaps?

> It is a collection of
> schemas, tables, queries, reports, views, and other objects.

Not neccessarily, it is a collecion of one ore more pieces of data.

Even a file with just a single number in it is(/can be seen as) a database.

> I think you are wrong, it is the organisation of data into a tree by
> "threading" that constitute the database.

Well, I am reasonably sure to be right.

> The integrity and multiuser
> functionality come long after the first database.

After the third, perhaps? Nonsense.

> The database was about
> not needing empty properties in records, that was the original purpose
> "well and not have to read out data sequentially.
>
> Am I wrong?

Yes. You are confused by thinking a special type of database,
[perhaps the ones under MS-ACCESS or SQL-server] that are called "relational
databases", are the only ones, however for instance huge distributed
databases of Google are necessarily not of that kind.

A database is JUST a collecion of one ore more pieces of data.

==========

Sometimes, when I need a limited set of changing data,
perhaps only one record with a number of fields,
it pays of to use a serverside file using "Scripting.FileSystemObject"
under ASP, bypassing the overhead of a dedicated database-engine,
and for instance being able to save dayly database-copies without much
memory-impact.

Yes then I miss the concurrent multiuser safety, but also the always looming
database deadlock.

Evertjan.

Sep 23, 2017, 4:36:49 PM9/23/17
jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote on 23 Sep 2017 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Well i was wrong Jan,

So I stipulated.

Again, you are not addressing me with my name, Joboy.

Evertjan.

Sep 23, 2017, 4:45:19 PM9/23/17
jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote on 23 Sep 2017 in comp.lang.javascript:

> No Jan Evert

And again, John Ass!

> a file can not have any rules it has a format

Nonsense.

[1] you are thinking [well probably, who can say what you think] of a text-
file or a accdb file. A file is just a named block of data in stable memory.

[contrary for instance to a stream, which is also the way you retrieve or
store a file]

Anyway:

[2] a FORMAT is just a bunch of RULES [sometimes called dimensions],
that describe the way the information is stored.

Evertjan.

Sep 23, 2017, 4:49:03 PM9/23/17
John-Paul Stewart <jpst...@sympatico.ca> wrote on 23 Sep 2017 in
comp.lang.javascript:
Quite so, and it is limited by practical issues like the amount of memory
available, the O.S.-addressing limitations and the processing-speed.

John G Harris

Sep 24, 2017, 5:58:54 AM9/24/17
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 09:26:00 -0700 (PDT), jonas.t...@gmail.com
wrote:

<snip>
>Well what i try to say is the original DB engines was pretty rudimentary, you could code up on in a week.
<snip>

The original databases were written in Cuneiform on clay tablets about
6,000 years ago. The were used for keeping track of tax owed and tax
paid. (What else could justify the cost of implenting it?)

John

Evertjan.

Sep 24, 2017, 6:13:32 AM9/24/17
John G Harris <ni...@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> wrote on 24 Sep 2017 in
comp.lang.javascript:

> On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 09:26:00 -0700 (PDT), jonas.t...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>Well what i try to say is the original DB engines was pretty
>>rudimentary, you could code up on in a week.
> <snip>

"code up" ??

> The original databases were written in Cuneiform on clay tablets about
> 6,000 years ago. The were used for keeping track of tax owed and tax
> paid. (What else could justify the cost of implenting it?)

They also needed database-integrity,
used a defined code-format,
and while read-only,
they had entry security by one-time sealed envelope.

John G Harris

Sep 24, 2017, 7:06:28 AM9/24/17
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 12:12:58 +0200, "Evertjan."
<exxjxw.h...@inter.nl.net> wrote:

>John G Harris <ni...@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> wrote on 24 Sep 2017 in
>comp.lang.javascript:

<snip>
>> The original databases were written in Cuneiform on clay tablets about
>> 6,000 years ago. The were used for keeping track of tax owed and tax
>> paid. (What else could justify the cost of implenting it?)
>
>They also needed database-integrity,

Yes, but implemented by humans.

>used a defined code-format,

Ditto.

>and while read-only,

Not really : tablets could be added or replaced.

>they had entry security by one-time sealed envelope.

More likely by two big men with very sharp spears and a suspicious
attitude.

John

Evertjan.

Sep 24, 2017, 11:22:18 AM9/24/17
John G Harris <ni...@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> wrote on 24 Sep 2017 in
comp.lang.javascript:

>>> The original databases were written in Cuneiform on clay tablets about
>>> 6,000 years ago. The were used for keeping track of tax owed and tax
>>> paid. (What else could justify the cost of implenting it?)
>>
>>They also needed database-integrity,
>
> Yes, but implemented by humans.

So?

>>used a defined code-format,
>
> Ditto.

Ditto.

>>and while read-only,
>
> Not really : tablets could be added or replaced.

They were baked into read-only-mode.

>>they had entry security by one-time sealed envelope.
>
> More likely by two big men with very sharp spears and a suspicious
> attitude.

Not so.

They often were enveloped by another layer of clay
which was signed and then baked again for posterity.

So a kind of read-once security now used in quantum data security.

jonas.t...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2017, 1:07:20 PM9/24/17
Den söndag 24 september 2017 kl. 12:13:32 UTC+2 skrev Evertjan.:
> John G Harris <ni...@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> wrote on 24 Sep 2017 in
> comp.lang.javascript:
>
> > On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 09:26:00 -0700 (PDT), jonas.t...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >>Well what i try to say is the original DB engines was pretty
> >>rudimentary, you could code up on in a week.
> > <snip>
>
> "code up" ??
See "do" "make" maybe the mental climb was a bit to big ;)

Evertjan.

Sep 24, 2017, 4:06:24 PM9/24/17
jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote on 24 Sep 2017 in comp.lang.javascript:

>> > <snip>
>>
>> "code up" ??
> See "do" "make" maybe the mental climb was a bit to big ;)

A week????

Ah well,
I could design a database-file in a whiffy,
zero to many records, one text-field per record,
no restraints on length of field or number of records.

I would call this database-file a "text-file".