Unable to verify the certificate with root CA

Vitaliy Rabotnik

Apr 8, 2001, 12:23:35 AM4/8/01

I'm doing my honours project in the university and I need an applet to be
able to open a browser and load a web site in it, read and write files on
the client. I followed pretty much the example in the Java Tutorial from
www.javasoft.com
(http://www.javasoft.com/docs/books/tutorial/security1.2/toolfilex/sender.ht
ml). I'm employing the Java Plug-in for both Netscape and IE and I use
jdk1.3 to develop and jre1.3 to deploy.

Here is the link to a demo applet:
http://chat.carleton.ca/~vrabotni/projects/java/SignedApplet.html

But I'm getting the exception every time I open it in a browser:

java.security.cert.CertificateException: Unable to verify the certificate
with root CA at
sun.plugin.security.TrustDecider.isAllPermissionGranted(Unknown Source) at
sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.getPermissions(Unknown Source) at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.getProtectionDomain(Unknown Source) at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source) at
java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source) at
java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source) at
java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source) at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at
java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) at
sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) at
sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at
sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at
sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source) at
sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source) at
sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source) at
sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source) at
sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown
Source)

I was wondering whether someone could explain what is wrong here. Why my
self-maid certificate is verified with root CA?

Thank you...

Vitaliy Rabotnik
Carleton University
Computer Science IV (Software and Computing, Co-op)
WWW: http://chat.carleton.ca/~vrabotni

The truth is out there...

Vitaliy Rabotnik

Apr 8, 2001, 12:26:27 AM4/8/01
Sorry, the link to the example that I use:

http://www.javasoft.com/docs/books/tutorial/security1.2/toolfilex/sender.htm

Vitaliy Rabotnik <vita...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Roedy Green

Apr 8, 2001, 12:37:12 AM4/8/01
On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 04:23:35 GMT, "Vitaliy Rabotnik"
<vita...@hotmail.com> wrote or quoted :

>I was wondering whether someone could explain what is wrong here. Why my
>self-maid certificate is verified with root CA?

Your cert must exist on all machines using your app. You need a policy
file on all machines using your app.

Perhaps did not create your phony cert correctly. See "keytool" in
the Java glossary.

-
For more detail, please look up the key words mentioned in this post in
the Java Glossary at:
http://mindprod.com/jgloss.html or http://209.153.246.39/jgloss.html
If you don't see what you were looking for, complain!
or send your contribution for the glossary.
--
Roedy Green, Canadian Mind Products
Custom computer programming since 1963.