Netscape 6.1 Java exception

Wilson Ng

Sep 30, 2001, 12:41:55 PM9/30/01

I encountered a problem with Netscape 6.1 under Windows displaying a
certain web page while I am okay with IE 5.5 and Netscape 4.7. Anyone
can shed some light?

java.lang.ClassFormatError: jcrypto/cipher/CipherException (Bad magic
number)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Thanks, Wilson.

peter d

Oct 2, 2001, 11:45:04 PM10/2/01
As Wilson Ng put it so eloquently,

>I encountered a problem with Netscape 6.1 under Windows displaying a
>certain web page while I am okay with IE 5.5 and Netscape 4.7. Anyone
>can shed some light?
>

>java.lang.ClassFormatError: jcrypto/cipher/CipherException (Bad magic
>number)

in case you don't know what the error means, here you go: a java class
file should start with the hexadecimal sequence 0xCAFEBABE. this is
called the majic number, and if a classloader tries to load in a class
that doesn't start with this sequence, you get this exception.

i don't know why different browsers would fetch different data for a
class.

--
peter d

Michel Gallant

Oct 3, 2001, 7:30:21 AM10/3/01
I have seen such errors if you compile using javac v 1.3+ which usually
does NOT produce code compatible with java 1.x for Netscape or IE.
In that case you need to use:
javac -target 1.1 <yourclasses>

- Mitch
http://home.istar.ca/~neutron/java.html