Applet Java2-Codesigning-Problems with Netscape

Michael Koch

Mar 12, 2003, 9:10:35 AM3/12/03
Hi all,

our environment:
Windows NT4.0 SP5, Netscape 7.02, JRE 1.3.1_04, a correctly verified
signed Java Applet (jar), signed with jarsigner 1.4 (Problems has
occured with 1.3 jarsigner).

In IE 5.0 with the Sun Plugin 1.3.1_04 the signed applet can correctly
be used, means has permissions to read and write to disk...

In NES 7.02 with Sun Plugin 1.3.1_04 the signed applet can't read from
disk, I get the following permission exception:

[Entering]getFloppyDrive()
java.security.PrivilegedActionException:
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
(java.io.FilePermission A:\ read)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(Unknown Source)
at java.io.File.isDirectory(Unknown Source)
at
dreba.prj.ffp.applet.security.AppletKeyDatabase.getFloppyDrive(AppletKeyDatabase.java:580)

Are there some restrictions using the Plugin with Netscape ?

Thanx
Michael

Michael Koch

Mar 12, 2003, 9:09:58 AM3/12/03

Michael Koch

Mar 12, 2003, 9:14:14 AM3/12/03

Dhek Bhun Kho

Mar 13, 2003, 4:21:31 AM3/13/03
Original message from Michael Koch <michae...@dresdner-bank.com> on
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:09:58 +0100:

> In NS 7.02 with Sun Plugin 1.3.1_04 the signed applet can't read from

> disk, I get the following permission exception:

Have you tried installing a new SecurityManager, e.g.:
System.setSecurityManager(new SecurityManager() {
// override some methods
public void checkRead() {}
public void checkAccess() {}
});

I wrote a classloader a few days ago, but it got stock due to runtime
permission failure on getClassloader, installing a new SecurityManager
in the signed applet did the trick.
--
Never ask the barber if you need a haircut.

Michael Koch

Mar 13, 2003, 5:30:44 AM3/13/03
> Original message from Michael Koch <michae...@dresdner-bank.com> on
> Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:09:58 +0100:
>
> > In NS 7.02 with Sun Plugin 1.3.1_04 the signed applet can't read from
> > disk, I get the following permission exception:
>
> Have you tried installing a new SecurityManager, e.g.:
> System.setSecurityManager(new SecurityManager() {

--> No I didn't, I will try it. Is it allowed to replace the
SecurityManager inside the Applet ?

Michael Koch

Mar 13, 2003, 11:27:17 AM3/13/03

I replaced in my applet the SecurityManager but this is forbidden, I get a
the following exception in my signed test applet:
replaceSecurityManager()
ex: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission createSecurityManager)
(java.lang.RuntimePermission createSecurityManager)

at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.SecurityManager.<init>(Unknown Source)
at mytest.VMHelperApplet$1.<init>(VMHelperApplet.java:67)
at mytest.VMHelperApplet.replaceSecurityManager(VMHelperApplet.java:67)
at sun.plugin.liveconnect.PrivilegedCallMethodAction.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.liveconnect.SecureInvocation$2.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.liveconnect.SecureInvocation.CallMethod(Unknown Source)