RSA Signed Applets + Win95 + IE 3.0

Klon Bundy

Apr 8, 2001, 7:04:23 PM4/8/01
Dear Sir!

We did RSA sign an applet (developed by using jdk 1.3) and the applet works
well on different operating systems

with Netscape 4.7 and IE 5.01 (depends if available on operation system).

On our Windows 95 Plattform (ver 9.50b / OSR2 / IE 3.0), the applet failes
to run cause of the fact that the signature is not verified (the grand
dialog does not appear, not with netscape 4.7 and also not with ie 3.0), so
the result is a security exception by trying to get local file access...
(policies, signature and so on are correct, working on all other
systems... ).

So i studied some documents (java.sun.com, some other java resources) and
also the sun jre faq and found in the document
(<http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3/docs/nsobjsigning.html>) the
following information:

Windows 95 original retail edition -> IE 3.0 or higher: Supported ->
Netscape Navigoator: Supported only if IE is installed

Windows 95 OSR2 -> IE 3.0 or higher: Supported -> Netscape Navigoator:
Supported

Ok, we have Win95 Osr2, ie 3.0, netscape navigator 4.7 and jre (1.3.0-C)
installed, so it should work.

The only way to make the applet run correctly on this configuration/OS was
to upgrade from ie 3.0 to ie 5.01 ... the problem is that this is not a
working solution for our environment, we are not allowed to change the
browser versions.

Do you have any suggestions how to solve this problem without updating from
IE 3.0 to IE 5.01 ? (maybe installation of microsoft crypto api 2.0 or
higher will help, but where to get a stand alone version of that ? (hmmm
hehehe maybe from microsoft... did not find it there... :( )

This "Information/Help Request" i send you via my home account (yup, also
work on that problem in my spare time), can you reply (if you have any
suggestion/tip for me) to ha...@grz.at please.

Sincerely

Oliver Hable

Security / Software Engineering

Genossenschafts-Rechenzentrum Linz GmbH.

Goethestr. 80

4021 Linz

email: ha...@grz.at

PGP Public Key - request it :)

-- parts of console information

Java(TM) Plug-In: Version 1.3.0-C

Verwendung der JRE-Version 1.3.0 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

Proxy-Konfiguration:Kein Proxy ##proxy konfiguration -> no proxy

java.vm.version = 1.3.0-C

java.vm.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.

java.vendor.url = <http://java.sun.com/>

path.separator = ;

java.vm.name = Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

file.encoding.pkg = sun.io

javaplugin.version = 1.3.0-C

java.vm.specification.name = Java Virtual Machine Specification

java.runtime.version = 1.3.0-C

java.awt.graphicsenv = sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment

os.arch = x86

java.io.tmpdir = ***********

line.separator =

java.vm.specification.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.

java.awt.fonts =

os.name = Windows 95 ## 950b - ie3.0

java.specification.name = Java Platform API Specification

java.class.version = 47.0

os.version = 4.0

user.home = ********

user.timezone =

java.awt.printerjob = sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob

trustProxy = true

file.encoding = Cp1252

java.specification.version = 1.3

javaplugin.trace = true

user.name = wrzdvo

java.class.path = *****

java.vm.specification.version = 1.0

java.home = *******

java.specification.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.

user.language = de

awt.toolkit = sun.awt.windows.WToolkit

java.vm.info = mixed mode

java.version = 1.3.0

java.ext.dirs = *****

sun.boot.class.path = ********

java.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.

file.separator = \

java.vendor.url.bug = <http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi>

sun.cpu.endian = little

sun.io.unicode.encoding = UnicodeLittle

user.region = DE

sun.cpu.isalist = pentium i486 i386

JAR cache enabled.

Read the Cache option Tag...:Browser

## so i guess the signature is not verified, did not get correct access
permissions...:(

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.security.AccessControlException:
access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission java.io.tmpdir read)

at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.System.getProperty(Unknown Source)

at **.****.***.Storage$1.run(Storage.java:68)

at **.****.***.Storage.<clinit>(Storage.java:65)

at **.****.***.getServerInformation(Foo.java:487)

at **.****.***.Foo.init(Foo.java:159)