Denial of service attack under Netscape

David Honig

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

the URL http://rattler.otc.net/JavaTricks/killer.html
which uses the applet http://rattler.otc.net/JavaTricks/killer.java

will require a reboot under Win95, using Netscape 3 and 4 but not IE 3.
Macintoshes are unharmed.

The attack creates lots of large windows...

ho...@otc.net

Robert Lynch

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

On Linux, with NS 3.01, it just leads to a null pointer:
-------
# Applet exception: exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.awt.motif.MComponentPeer.<init>(MComponentPeer.java:87)
at sun.awt.motif.MCanvasPeer.<init>(MCanvasPeer.java:28)
at sun.awt.motif.MPanelPeer.<init>(MPanelPeer.java:26)
at sun.awt.motif.MWindowPeer.<init>(MWindowPeer.java:37)
at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.createWindow(MToolkit.java:96)
at java.awt.Window.addNotify(Window.java:70)
at java.awt.Window.show(Window.java:93)
at killer.init(killer.java:25)
at
netscape.applet.EmbeddedAppletFrame.run(EmbeddedAppletFrame.java:323)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:296)
-------
a real killer... ;-)

Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA USA-r...@best.com
http://www.best.com/~rmlynch/

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

David Honig <ho...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>the URL http://rattler.otc.net/JavaTricks/killer.html
>which uses the applet http://rattler.otc.net/JavaTricks/killer.java
>
>will require a reboot under Win95, using Netscape 3 and 4 but not IE 3.
>Macintoshes are unharmed.
>
>The attack creates lots of large windows...

Under Windows 98 with Netscape 4.04 & the 1.1 patch, it created a colorful
display for a while - but some heavy Alt-tabbing stopped it, then a
shutdown of Netscape cleared it up. I let it go for a while, but it never
seemed to lock up the machine really...

O \'\Kgelner@ \'\
You know, for kids! \'\ @bigfoot. \'\