apache, jserv, servlet to DB doesn't work

dan...@hotmail.com

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
Hello,

Any suggestions are greatful. Thanks,

I am running apache1.3.12 with jserv1.1.1 on NT and connecting to an
informix database. The connection works nicely in a java.class file,
but from a servlet I get a message that it cannot find the driver
com.informix.jdbc.IfxDriver This is what Jserv log files records.

------------mod_jserv.log
[16/06/2000 19:02:37:763] (ERROR) ajp12: Servlet Error:
java.lang.IllegalAccessException: simpleConnect: simpleConnect
[16/06/2000 19:02:37:763] (ERROR) an error returned handling request
via protocol "ajpv12"

------------jserv.log
[16/06/2000 14:32:24:522 CDT] java.lang.IllegalAccessException:
simpleConnect
at org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.load_init
(JServServletManager.java:536)
at org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.loadServlet
(JServServletManager.java:498)
at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.processRequest
(JServConnection.java:269)
at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.run
(JServConnection.java:188)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Email responses are good too. dan...@hotmail.com

--
Thanks, Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

sg...@hotmail.com

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
The DB connection is made via a JDBC driver. It appears that your JServ
instance locate the class files for the Informix JDBC Driver. GO ahead
and include it in your classpath and stop/start the server. It should
work...
In article <8idvno$6pm$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

dan...@hotmail.com

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
Thanks for your reply.

My informix JDBC driver is in the classpath and the driver is
successfully found through a simple java application, but it can't be
found through the jserv/servlet. This is probably some kind of jserv
configuration issue, but I can't find any docs on where to make that
configuration change.

Thanks again, Dan

In article <8ie0bk$79c$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

sg...@hotmail.com

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
I haven't done this myself - so I can only suggest something that may
hopefully help...I am pasting a cutout from
http://java.apache.org/jserv/install/howto.win32_install.html
Why don't you add the driver path in wrapper.classpath ?

Installing the servlet engine
The servlet engine is a 100% pure Java server application with its own
configuration files. jserv.properties is the main configuration file
while zone.properties is an example servlet zone configuration file
(see the servlet zone howto for more info on servlet zones). You need
to edit a few directives in the jserv.properties file to let the JVM
spawner (either the module or the wrapper) where to find things.

These are the properties you should edit:

wrapper.bin=@JAVA@ (the name of the JVM interpreter, absolute if not in
PATH)
wrapper.classpath=@JSERV_CLASSES@ (the path to ApacheJServ.jar)
wrapper.classpath=@JSDK_CLASSES@ (the path to jsdk.jar)
root.properties=@ZONE_CONF@ (the path to ./conf/zone.properties)
log.file=@JSERV_LOG@ (the path to ./logs/jserv.log)

In article <8ie0vm$7q5$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Bob Langford

Jun 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/17/00
In article <8ie2l0$980$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, sg...@hotmail.com says...

> I haven't done this myself - so I can only suggest something that may
> hopefully help...I am pasting a cutout from
> http://java.apache.org/jserv/install/howto.win32_install.html
> Why don't you add the driver path in wrapper.classpath ?
>
> Installing the servlet engine
> The servlet engine is a 100% pure Java server application with its own
> configuration files. jserv.properties is the main configuration file
> while zone.properties is an example servlet zone configuration file
> (see the servlet zone howto for more info on servlet zones). You need
> to edit a few directives in the jserv.properties file to let the JVM
> spawner (either the module or the wrapper) where to find things.
>
> These are the properties you should edit:
>
> wrapper.bin=@JAVA@ (the name of the JVM interpreter, absolute if not in
> PATH)
> wrapper.classpath=@JSERV_CLASSES@ (the path to ApacheJServ.jar)
I have just been through almost the same problem. I was setting up
Apache JServ on Linux, connecting to Sybase, but I had the same problem.
The poster quoted above is on the right track, and probably exactly
right. The Java environment, such as CLASSPATH, is different in JServ
than pure JDK. It took me a lots of trying and testing to get all the
pieces I needed in the list.

Good Luck!

Tanveer

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
Hello,

sgpal is right you have to add the informix database driver to the classpath
in jserv.properties file contained within /conf directory of jserv
installation.
add the line as follows
wrapper.classpath=<<path to informix driver>>
Note that for every classs you use in your project should be added in the
wrapper.classpath of the jserv.\
Take care.

Steve Lane

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
In article <8idvno$6pm$1...@nnrp1.deja.com> , dan...@hotmail.com wrote:

As others have suggested, check to make sure you have a wrapper.classpath
entry that points to the JDBC driver in jserv.properties file. But: you're
not getting a "class not found" error in your log, you're getting an access
exception. so there may be some problem with the configuration of your
servlet zones.

-- sgl

Steve Lane
Project Manager