Q:Error in Netscape - Why?

JS

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
hi again

I am tryin to run my applet in Netscape 4.5, but I'm getting an error that I don't understand.  This is what's coming out of the Java Console:

Netscape Communications Corporation -- Java 1.1.5Type '?' for options.Symantec Java! ByteCode Compiler Version 210.065
Copyright (C) 1996-97 Symantec Corporation
# Verifier error JGSClient.setOnlineData(Ljava/util/Vector;)V: Cannot find class java/util/AbstractList
# Applet exception: class JGSClient got a security violation: method verification errorjava.lang.VerifyError: JGSClient
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass(Compiled Code)
 at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass1(Compiled Code)*
 at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)
 at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)
 at netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$LoadAppletEvent.dispatch(Compiled Code)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread$EventPump.dispatchEvents(Compiled Code)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Compiled Code)
 at netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$AppletEventDispatchThread.run(Compiled Code)

What does  this mean?  I have a feeling that Netscape doesn't like me using List AWT components in my applet, but I don't know why.  The applet runs just fine under HotJava, but it really messes up here.  Any suggestions from anyone who's seen this or knows about this?  Thanks a lot.

JS

Please reply to my email address.. thank you again.

Patrik Lundin

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99

> # Verifier error JGSClient.setOnlineData(Ljava/util/Vector;)V: Cannot find class java/util/AbstractList

java.util.AbstractList is a java 1.2 class, so it won't work in any current
webbrowser without using the java plugin.

-----------------------------------
Patrik Lundin
http://www.javathings.com
-----------------------------------

JS

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
But I'm not using java.util.AbstractList anywhere! The only type of List I'm using is java.awt.List. I
cannot figure out why the ClassLoader thinks I'm using something having to do with AbstractList. If needs
be, I'll post some of the code so that you can look at what I'm doing.

Kevin Kelley

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
JS <pbc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Patrik Lundin wrote:
>

> > > # Verifier error JGSClient.setOnlineData(Ljava/util/Vector;)V: Cannot find class java/util/AbstractList
> >
> > java.util.AbstractList is a java 1.2 class, so it won't work in any current
> > webbrowser without using the java plugin.
>
> But I'm not using java.util.AbstractList anywhere! The only type of List I'm using is java.awt.List. I
> cannot figure out why the ClassLoader thinks I'm using something having to do with AbstractList. If needs
> be, I'll post some of the code so that you can look at what I'm doing.

In 1.2 List inherits from AbstractList, so actually you *are* using
AbstractList in your code. If you're delivering to a 1.1 browser,
you're better off compiling with a 1.1 compiler and libraries, to
avoid this kind of problem.

Kevin Kelley

--
Starlight Software Co. www.kevin-kelley.com
Hellrung's Law: If you wait, it will go away.