problem starting Tomcat 4.0.6 with j2sdk1.4.1_01 on Win2000

1 view

Mark

Dec 17, 2002, 11:54:15 AM12/17/02
I’ve installed Tomcat 4.0.6 with j2sdk1.4.1_01 on Win2000. When
I start Tomcat, I get exception below. I’ve checked (with
“netstat”) that port 8080 and all other ports above 1800
are free. Please, help.

Catalina.start: LifecycleException: Error creating server socket
(java.net.Bind
Exception): java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
LifecycleException: Error creating server socket
(java.net.BindException): jav
a.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector.initialize(WarpConne
ctor.java:491)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
ava:454)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
a:553)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
----- Root Cause -----
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:331)
at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:309)
at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:183)
at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:139)
at org.apache.catalina.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(Defau
ltServerSocketFactory.java:118)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector.initialize(WarpConne
ctor.java:485)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
ava:454)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
a:553)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)

Cowboy Bob

Dec 17, 2002, 11:53:19 AM12/17/02
Mark wrote:

> I&#8217;ve installed Tomcat 4.0.6 with j2sdk1.4.1_01 on Win2000. When
> I start Tomcat, I get exception below. I&#8217;ve checked (with
> &#8220;netstat&#8221;) that port 8080 and all other ports above 1800
> are free. Please, help.

Is there a flaky instance of Tomcat still running? Look for Java in your
system processes and kill it if it's still there.

If not, have you checked as to what your AJP13 connector is set to listen
on?

Bob

--
"All I wanted in the end was world domination and a whole lot of money
to spend" - Justin Sullivan

Registered Linux User #228620

Cowboy Bob

Dec 17, 2002, 11:54:18 AM12/17/02
Cowboy Bob wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>
>> I&#8217;ve installed Tomcat 4.0.6 with j2sdk1.4.1_01 on Win2000. When
>> I start Tomcat, I get exception below. I&#8217;ve checked (with
>> &#8220;netstat&#8221;) that port 8080 and all other ports above 1800
>> are free. Please, help.
>>

> Is there a flaky instance of Tomcat still running? Look for Java in your
> system processes and kill it if it's still there.
>
> If not, have you checked as to what your AJP13 connector is set to listen
> on?
>
> Bob

Oh yeah, please don't use "SmartQuotes" on usenet, we don't all run Windows
you know...

Mark

Dec 18, 2002, 10:09:01 AM12/18/02
AJP13 connector listens on port 8009. As I have not touched ANYTHING,
server.xml and all the rest is as is.
I've looked in the log, every time I try to run Tomcat, there is only
one line:
HttpConnector Opening server socket on all host IP addresses.
Also, to make it more interesting, a bit of history: I first installed
Tomcat 4.1.12 and it worked fine.
Then I unistalled it (and deleted all files), because I had a problem
using it with IntelliJ IDE and IntelliJ support told me to use Tomcat
4.0.6.
Then I intalled Tomcat 4.0.6 and it never worked since...
P.S. Sorry about quotes :)

Mark

Dec 18, 2002, 12:32:58 PM12/18/02
Problem solved! Turns out Websphere Site Developer was starting up
Apache and it did take up some ports (for some reason "netstat" did
not show it at all).
For first install I simply was not running Site Developer!