Bad Magic number error

Rbxrbundh

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
I am trying to get a javacam running from a web site. I am using netscape 4.51,
the latest version. Can any one figure out why netscape cant load the javacam
and gives bad magic number error. Here is the java console

************
Netscape Communications Corporation -- Java 1.1.5

Type '?' for options.

Symantec Java! ByteCode Compiler Version 210.065
Copyright (C) 1996-97 Symantec Corporation
# Applet exception: error: java.lang.ClassFormatError: Bad magic number

java.lang.ClassFormatError: Bad magic number

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Compiled Code)

at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)

at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Compiled Code)

at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass1(Compiled Code)

* at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)

at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)

at netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$LoadAppletEvent.dispatch(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread$EventPump.dispatchEvents(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Compiled Code)

at netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$AppletEventDispatchThread.run(Compiled
Code)

**************

I am suspecting few things
1) netscape 4.51 had some problem setting up java on my system.
2) some of the java dll's on my system are screwed up, i dont know the reason.
3) the web site i am running it from has some problem.

Can any one please let me know their opinions and suggestions.
I am not a software engineer but electrical engineer trying to solve some my
live webcam problem and seem like this might be a place to get some help.
Please post to group or/and send me the reply if possible,

Thanks

Patricia Shanahan

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Bad magic number means that the first few bytes of a file did NOT
contain an expected value. A "magic number" in this sense is an
arbitrary value that a file format is defined to have in the first few
bytes as a very fast cross-check that it is probably in the proper
format. Since the error is coming from ClassLoader it is presumably a
.class file that is in trouble.

One way of getting this is if you upload a .class file as a text file
- it will get corrupted in the process. In order to work around
differences in text file organization between systems ftp does some
reformatting unless it knows that a file is a binary file.

You should be able to download all your .class files from the web site
and get an exact byte-for-byte match with your working files.

Patricia