tomcat: SEVERE: Begin event threw exception

mik

Nov 18, 2003, 4:08:20 PM11/18/03
hi,

i have a problem with tomcat. i really don't know what is going on.
yesterday i used it and there was everything ok.
today, when i started my computer the only functionality of tomcat i
could notice is such message in logs/catalina.out.
i tried to do a lot of things to localize the problem.
finally i've given up and installed tomcat one more time from binary tar
archive. it's amazing for me, that fresh installation (without any
changes in server.xml, webapps etc) fails to startup.
please, help.

greetings,
michal

Nov 18, 2003 8:19:22 PM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester startElement
SEVERE: Begin event threw exception
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
at
org.apache.commons.digester.ObjectCreateRule.begin(ObjectCreateRule.java:252)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:200)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1273)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.startElement(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown
Source)
at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$ContentDispatcher.scanRootElementHook(Unknown
Source)
at
Source)
at
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:449)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
at
at
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
Catalina.start: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer
at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:2540)
at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:2566)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1276)
[...]

Wendy S

Nov 18, 2003, 4:31:34 PM11/18/03
"mik" <m...@x.dot.org.dot.pl> wrote in message

> it's amazing for me, that fresh installation (without any
> changes in server.xml, webapps etc) fails to startup.
> please, help.

What version of Tomcat, what operating system? After you unzipped/untarred
the file, what else did you do? When it's complaining at startup I usually
find that one of the xml config files is messed up. Are you sure there
aren't any bits of the old install hanging around?

--
Wendy

mik

Nov 18, 2003, 4:54:18 PM11/18/03
Wendy S wrote:

>> it's amazing for me, that fresh installation (without any
>>changes in server.xml, webapps etc) fails to startup.
>>please, help.
> What version of Tomcat, what operating system? After you unzipped/untarred
> the file, what else did you do? When it's complaining at startup I usually
> find that one of the xml config files is messed up. Are you sure there
> aren't any bits of the old install hanging around?

slackware linux 9.0
kernel 2.4.21
tomcat 4.1.27
i haven't do anything after untaring the file (when i installed tomcat
for a first time it was enough to startup).
when i start tomcat there is:

Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat/temp
Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/local/j2sdk

i think this is all what remains after old installation - env vars
declared in /etc/profile

thanks,
michal

mik

Nov 18, 2003, 6:38:44 PM11/18/03
mik wrote:
> i have a problem with tomcat. i really don't know what is going on.
> yesterday i used it and there was everything ok.
> today, when i started my computer the only functionality of tomcat i
> could notice is such message in logs/catalina.out.
> i tried to do a lot of things to localize the problem.
> finally i've given up and installed tomcat one more time from binary tar
> archive. it's amazing for me, that fresh installation (without any
> changes in server.xml, webapps etc) fails to startup.
> please, help.

after few hours of doing many sophisticated things ( ;) ) i've localized
the problem.
yesterday i copied some tomcat and struts .jar files into
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext/
after deleting those files evertything is ok and tomcat starts up normally.
i've spent all day on it... learning sometimes hurts.

greetings,
mik