State Machine Applets - Help Needed Tonight.

1 view

Derek F Thompson

Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98

I would be very grateful if for a little help on a problem I am
having.

I have written a three applets that can be accessed from the follwing
URL. They have all been written using JDK 1.1.5.

http://www.btinternet.com/~derek.thompson/page1.html

Some PC users are saying they can see the applets fine, some are
saying they can't, yet they say they have Java 1.1 enabled browsers. I
am using Netscape 4.03 with the Java smart update and IE 4 and can see
the applets fully working.

I have two clear requests

Could someone who knows what they are doing confirm that they can see
the three applets using a browser on Unix. (Java1.1)

Could someone who knows what they are doing confirm that they can see
the three applets using a browser on a PC (Java 1.1)

If any body is interested in spending a few minutes more I would very
much appreciate alittle constructive feedback - good or bad, it
doesn't matter.

Thanks

Derek

Derek F Thompson ........ derek.t...@btinternet.com

David Byrden

Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98

Derek F Thompson <derek.t...@btinternet.com> wrote in article
<354a82d5...@news.btinternet.com>...

> Could someone who knows what they are doing confirm that they can see
> the three applets using a browser on a PC (Java 1.1)

They work fine on Explorer 4, default
installation, on Windows 95 release 2.
Navigator 4 can't run them.

David

Patricia Shanahan

Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98

That's odd - I just ran all three applets on Win95, Navigator 4.04
with the Java 1.1 patch. Very nice they are too - I wish they had been
around when I was studying Turing machines.

Patricia

SEGV

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

Wicked. Works fine in Nav4.04 Java AWT 1.1 PR2 under Debian GNU/Linux.

--
SEGV NT can suck on this:
http://www.cgocable.net/~mlepage/ http://www.debian.org/

Eric S. Ingram

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

Tried the applets using Netscape Communicator 4.04 under Win95.

Uniformly get a status line message indicating that Applet xxxx can't
start - class xxxxx not found.

where xxxxx is one of {Finite1, Turing2, KTape}

Marcus Houlden

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

I get the same with Netscape 4.05 & Win95

--
Marcus Houlden
Personal: change the historyvillage to geocities

Roger Watson

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

On 23 Apr 1998 19:49:41 GMT, "David Byrden" <Da...@Byrden.com> wrote:

>Derek F Thompson <derek.t...@btinternet.com> wrote in article
><354a82d5...@news.btinternet.com>...
>

>> Could someone who knows what they are doing confirm that they can see
>> the three applets using a browser on a PC (Java 1.1)

> David
Well that lets me out then, Hey you lot go and see how many small
apples he's got then.
Roger :o)
* Roger Watson mailto:Roger(nospam)@Halsham.karoo.co.uk *
* Visit http://www.karoo.net/halsham/ *

David Byrden

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

Eric S. Ingram <e.in...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in article
<3540AA15...@cableinet.co.uk>...

> Tried the applets using Netscape Communicator 4.04 under Win95.
>
> Uniformly get a status line message indicating that Applet xxxx can't
> start - class xxxxx not found.

The problem here is that the applets
use the 1.1 event model which Netscape does
not have.

David

SEGV

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

Eric S. Ingram wrote:

> Tried the applets using Netscape Communicator 4.04 under Win95.
>
> Uniformly get a status line message indicating that Applet xxxx can't
> start - class xxxxx not found.
>
> where xxxxx is one of {Finite1, Turing2, KTape}

That's because, in terms of machine complexity, a PC running Win95 is
not as powerful as an FSM. :-)

--
SEGV
Homepage: http://www.cgocable.net/~mlepage/

Derek F Thompson

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

On 24 Apr 1998 19:11:50 GMT, "David Byrden" <Da...@Byrden.com> wrote:

> The problem here is that the applets
>use the 1.1 event model which Netscape does
>not have.

These pages can be viewed using Netscape, there is a Java 1.1 smart
update facility at Netscape netcentre. Several people overnight have
tried this and it adds the Java components that are missing in the
original versions.

I hope this helps.

If anybody fancies writing a few lines giving opinion on the applets
and intro page (good or bad it doesn't matter) I would much appreciate
it.

Patricia Shanahan

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

I tried a Solaris 2.5.x system with the following results:

Netscape 4.02 without JDK 1.1 patch. Class not found, as expected.

JDK 1.1.3 appletviewer. All perfect.

HotJava. First one ran, the other two did not start. However, I was
having proxy trouble which may have affected the results.

Oliver Nash

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

Using a Mac with IE3.01 and MRJ2.0
they did not show here is the java console output.....
# Applet exception: class Finite1 not found
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Finite1
at
netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:320)
at
netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass1(AppletClassLoader.java:250)
at
netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:231)
at
netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:212)
at
netscape.applet.EmbeddedAppletFrame.run(EmbeddedAppletFrame.java:278)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:296)
--
**********Email olive...@cs.ucc.ie ************
****** http://atlantis.ucc.ie/~olly/olly.html *******

Robert Chrismas

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

In article <354480...@cs.ucc.ie>, Oliver Nash <olive...@cs.ucc.ie>
wrote:

> Using a Mac with IE3.01 and MRJ2.0
> they did not show here is the java console output.....
> # Applet exception: class Finite1 not found
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Finite1
> at
> netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:320)
> at
> netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass1(AppletClassLoader.java:250)
> at
> netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:231)
> at
> netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:212)
> at
> netscape.applet.EmbeddedAppletFrame.run(EmbeddedAppletFrame.java:278)

You've probably not noticed that you keep cross
posting this discussion to uk.education.staffroom and
uk.education.teachers

I'm not sure what you think we normally talk about,
but I can assure that this isn't it.

It really belongs on comp.language.java or something doesn't it?

Could you cut the rest of us from the newsgroups you post to please?

--
Robert Chrismas chri...@argonet.co.uk

Michael Motet

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Well, I have tried to upgrade the Netscape JDK, and I now get an error:
"Applet Finite1 can't init: NEW" when I load the Finite1.html.

Can it be because I am accessing the page from behind a firewall ?

-Michael