java.exe application error: Memory cannot be read.

Juping Jin

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
I have a quite simple program: it builds a Linkedlist, then put a part of
the list into a vector. Uses this vector to construct a JList. At last, the
JList is put in a JScrollPane. By the end of the program, Windows NT 4.0 will
give error msg:

java.exe - Application error
The instruction at "0x05ad9d81" referenced memory at "0x05ad9d81".
The memory could not be "read".

Note the two memory locations are the same.

By the way, the LinkedList is built by a class read from SQL database using
JDBC:ODBC bridge. If I don't use Linkedlist, but build the Vector manually,
the program won't give any error.

Here is the exception message at the end of the program:
Fatal exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv in
socket input stream read
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv in socket input str
eam read
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java, Compiled Code
)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java, Compiled C
ode)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java, Compiled C
ode)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:73)
at sun.tools.debug.AgentIn.run(AgentIn.java:54)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

It seems to me that the database part has some problems. But if I test the
database part separately using LinkedList, it works OK.

Anyone can give me a hint?

Thanks

Mike Fahl

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
I've received this error under JDK 1.2.2 when passing floating point
variables to methods in front of object refereces. I could solve this
either by using JDK 1.3 (beta), or by putting the floating point params
at the end of the parameter list. Happened to me on two occasions, both
100% repeatable, so I assume this is a known bug in the 1.2.2 VM. Took
me half a day to figure out the first time it happened though, since I
didn't even get a stack trace - just the NT error message.

Mike