Applet does not work in Netscape

Greg Thornwall

Aug 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/4/98

I have been having trouble with my applet using netscape 4.05 and 4.5b
running on Solaris 2.6 and also on NT 4.0. It works fine in Internet
Explorer 4.0 (both on the PC and Sun) and Sun's Hotjava. From the Java
console window I get some errors (see below). It seems to not be able
to find a class. Has anyone else had trouble getting applets to run
in netscape that will work in other browsers? Is there a possible bug
in netscape or do I have something setup incorrectly?

Thanks,

--Greg

p...@ncifcrf.gov

-------------------- Foobar Applet ----------

<APPLET NAME="Foobar"
CODE="Foobar.class"
ARCHIVE="Foobar.jar"
CODEBASE="http://.../Foobar"
WIDTH=650 HEIGHT=700
ALIGN=absmiddle>
</APPLET>

-------------------- Java console output for Sun ----
Netscape Communications Corporation -- Java 1.1.2
Type '?' for options
#Applet debug level set to 9

# stopApplet: contextID=7 appletID=17356816 parentMWContext=13764928
# Stopping applet: Foobar, appletID=17356816, contextID=7
# initApplet: contextID=7 appletID=17636888 parentContext=13764928
frameContext=13764928
# Initializing applet: Foobar.class, appletID=17636888, contextID=7
# docURL=http://.../Test/ reloadClasses=false
# total applets=5
# New applet: 17636888 at http://.../Test/ imgcodebase=http://.../Test
width=650 height=700 hspace=0 archive=nullhttp://.../Test/Foobar.jar
vspace=0 align=abscenter name=Foobar image2=p2.gif image1=p1.gif
codebase=http://.../Test/ code=Foobar.class
# startApplet: contextID=7 appletID=17636888 newFrameMWContext=13764928
# Starting applet: Foobar, appletID=17636888, contextID=7
# Applet Foobar can't stop: error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Foobar
# status=0
# reusing class loader netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader@1de1303f
# context = netscape.applet.MozillaAppletContext@1de15723
# codebase = http://.../Test/
# archive = http://.../Test/Foobar.jar
# scriptOrigin = null
# Applet exception: error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Foobar
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Foobar
at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass(ClassLoader.java)
at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass1(AppletClassLoader.java)
* at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java)
at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java)
at netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame.run(DerivedAppletFrame.java)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
# Applet Foobar error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Foobar
# Applet Foobar can't init: error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Foobar
# status=0
# Applet Foobar can't start: error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Foobar
# status=0

Link

Aug 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/4/98
Greg Thornwall wrote in message <6q79a7$mn...@ncisun1-nf0.ncifcrf.gov>...

>I have been having trouble with my applet using netscape 4.05 and 4.5b
>running on Solaris 2.6 and also on NT 4.0. It works fine in Internet
>Explorer 4.0 (both on the PC and Sun) and Sun's Hotjava. From the Java
>console window I get some errors (see below). It seems to not be able
>to find a class. Has anyone else had trouble getting applets to run
>in netscape that will work in other browsers? Is there a possible bug
>in netscape or do I have something setup incorrectly?

I've noticed that as well... it seems that sometimes you have to try
re-loading the page a couple of times before it runs :( I have no idea
why.

- Mike

Srikanth

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98

The problem is not with the code.
Its with the browser.
To run JDK 1.1.x on Netscape you need a patch (Netscape Capabilities classes as they are called)
They can be downloaded from Netscape site
http://developer.netscape.com/.....

--Srikanth

R. Verrijzer wrote:

In article <6q79a7$mn...@ncisun1-nf0.ncifcrf.gov>, pdd...@ncifcrf.gov (Greg Thornwall) wrote:

>I have been having trouble with my applet using netscape 4.05 and 4.5b
>running on Solaris 2.6 and also on NT 4.0. It works fine in Internet
>Explorer 4.0 (both on the PC and Sun) and Sun's Hotjava. From the Java
>console window I get some errors (see below).  It seems to not be able
>to find a class.  Has anyone else had trouble getting applets to run
>in netscape that will work in other browsers? Is there a possible bug
>in netscape or do I have something setup incorrectly?

Hi,
I too have noticed that some applets just won't run in Netscape or in Internet
Explorer. Sometimes the cause is a bug in one of the browsers, the applet
usaly runs fine in the other. However, sometimes the only place where an
applet may run is in the appletviewer. I don't know what is causing such a
boycot of an applet.
Just remember that when an applet won't run it usaly is a bug in your applet
but sometimes it is a bug in your browser.

Greetz
        Rikko
Remove the * in my email

Greg Thornwall

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98
R. Verrijzer (r.verrijzer@*student.utwente.nl) wrote:
:
: Hi,

: I too have noticed that some applets just won't run in Netscape or in Internet
: Explorer. Sometimes the cause is a bug in one of the browsers, the applet
: usaly runs fine in the other. However, sometimes the only place where an
: applet may run is in the appletviewer. I don't know what is causing such a
: boycot of an applet.
: Just remember that when an applet won't run it usaly is a bug in your applet
: but sometimes it is a bug in your browser.
:

I was able to talk to someone at Sun and he said to try using their
"plug-in". I tried it and my Applet is "almost" working, at least
part of it is. He said that the JVM might not be working in netscape
and to use plugins.

Check out: http://java.sun.com:80/products/plugin/1.1.1/docs/tags.html
for more info.

One uses these tags to tell the browser to use a different up-to-date JRE.

--Greg

pdd...@ncifcrf.gov

Mark Maggelet

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
i think that, if at all possible, you should take everything out of the
archive.
netscape likes you to put all classes that you load into a package and import
it