Web Start - 'rename failed in cache'

1 view

snowghost

Aug 15, 2002, 6:25:06 AM8/15/02
Am having problems ("An error occurred while launching/running the
application") with WebStart downloading jars to client workstations.

When new versions of application jars are put on the web server, we
get one WebStart failure per jar - These show up on WebStart's General
Tab:

"Unable to load resource: http://host/lib/somejar.jar"

We can repeatedly ignore the error and click on the link again and it
will fail for the next jar in the list until all the jars for the
application have been copied to the client machine. The next click on
the link will successfully run the application on the client.

Has anyone else seen/resolved this problem with Web Start?

Many Thanks.

PS: The other tabs contain:

Exception Tab:

JNLPException[category: Download Error : Exception:
java.io.IOException: rename failed in cache : LaunchDesc: null ]
at com.sun.javaws.cache.DownloadProtocol.doDownload(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.cache.DownloadProtocol.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.downloadJarFiles(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.downloadEagerorAll(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.downloadResources(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Wrapped Exception Tab:

java.io.IOException: rename failed in cache
at com.sun.javaws.cache.DiskCache.insertEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.cache.DiskCache.insertResource(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.cache.DownloadProtocol$RetrieveAction.actionDownload(Unknown
Source)
at com.sun.javaws.cache.DownloadProtocol.doDownload(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.cache.DownloadProtocol.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.downloadJarFiles(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.downloadEagerorAll(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.downloadResources(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

snowghost

Aug 19, 2002, 3:05:15 AM8/19/02
> We can repeatedly ignore the error and click on the link again and it
> will fail for the next jar in the list until all the jars for the
> application have been copied to the client machine. The next click on
> the link will successfully run the application on the client.

This appears to be a windows 32 specific problem. Web Start is running
applications using javaw (The javaw command is identical to java,
except that with javaw there is no associated console window).

The problem is that we're getting zombie javaw processes (ie processes
no longer associated with an application the user can see). These
presumably have a read lock on the application jars and are causing
the Web Start exceptions - 'rename failed in cache'.

The solution is to kill off the javaw processes.

Yet to be determined - how did we create these process?