JDK1.2beta3, sockets, jdbc, and connections

1 view

gary beaver

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

The Java project here consists of around 200 classes that works with
sockets, databases, Swing 1.0,
and more. Worked fine under JDK1.1.5. After installing JDK1.2beta3, the
code no longer ran
due to "Connection refused: no further information" exceptions. So I
created some SocketPermissions
in appropriate places and got a little bit further. I'm still seeing the
following exception:

java.net.SocketException: JVM_recv in socket input stream read
(code=10004)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:90)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:106)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:369)
at
com.electronhead.topic.common.FlatParcel.<init>(FlatParcel.java:61)
at
com.electronhead.topic.client.TopicClient.run(TopicClient.java:441)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:490)

As I said before, this code worked under JDK1.1.5. I'm not sure how to
proceed since I can't find
java docs for SocketInputStream. It's returned by Socket.getInputStream,
but that's about all I know about it.
Has anyone seen code=10004? It looks like socketRead is finding a
JVM_recv token (whatever that is)
while attempting to read an <int>. Perhaps it got lost at a previous
point in the stream.

I'm also having problems with database connections. I was using Oracle's
oci jdbc driver ((type 2)
under 1.1.5 and it worked fine. Under 1.2beta3 during application
file, javai.dll, was missing. I looked at the 1.1 bin directory and
found javai.dll. So JavaSoft
changed some dll's. I then tried the light, type 4 oracle jdbc driver.
Again, the system throws an exception:

java.sql.SQLException: Connection refused: no further information
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java:223)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:100)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:146)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:121)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:164)
at
com.electronhead.dbserver.TransactionManager$TransactionThreadQueue.<init>(TransactionManager.java:115)

at
com.electronhead.dbserver.TransactionManager.<init>(TransactionManager.java:37)

at
com.electronhead.objserver.ObjectTransactionManager.<init>(ObjectTransactionManager.java:37)

at
com.electronhead.objserver.ObjectServer.<init>(ObjectServer.java:31)
at com.electronhead.app3.App3Server.<init>(App3Server.java:26)
at com.electronhead.app3.App3Server.main(App3Server.java:89)

I'm using a database url of "jdbc:oracle:thin:@192.44.1.1:7770:orcl",
which should work.
Are there any 1.2 style permissions associated with JDBC? Any other
ideas?

If I can't figure out how to get around these problems, I'll go back to
JDK1.1.5.

/ Gary

Gary Beaver
bea...@electronhead.com