JDK 1.1.6 and Netscape

Mehrva RABII

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98

I have written an applet and I have changed the security permission for
acceding on client's files. (I use netscape.security)
My applet work very well with appletviewer but I can't have it on
Netscape.

I receive this error message :

Netscape Communications Corporation -- Java 1.1.2
Type '?' for options.
.
# Applet exception: error: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
java.awt.Component: method setSize (II)V not found
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.awt.Component: method setSize (II)V
not found
at Recherche_Image.init(Recherche_Image.java:1215)
at netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame.run(DerivedAppletFrame.java)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

As you see my Netscape version know jdk 1.1.2 but on the other way it
can't find the methode setSize().

Can someone help me.

Thanks a lot.

Mehrva

Artur Wisz

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
It won't work on Netscape, 'cause (AFAIK) they've done their own
implementation of AWT. Get the plug-in.
Art

Bob Jamison

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98

Mehrva RABII wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have written an applet and I have changed the security permission for
> acceding on client's files. (I use netscape.security)
> My applet work very well with appletviewer but I can't have it on
> Netscape.
>
> I receive this error message :
>
> Netscape Communications Corporation -- Java 1.1.2
> Type '?' for options.
> .
> # Applet exception: error: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> java.awt.Component: method setSize (II)V not found
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.awt.Component: method setSize (II)V
> not found
> at Recherche_Image.init(Recherche_Image.java:1215)
> at netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame.run(DerivedAppletFrame.java)
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
>
> As you see my Netscape version know jdk 1.1.2 but on the other way it
> can't find the methode setSize().
>
> Can someone help me.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Mehrva

Mehrva,

Netscape, before v4.05, has only a partial implementation
of JDK1.1. The part lacking, unfortunately, is AWT. There
are some ways of working around this, though. In this instance
you need only call the JDK1.02 resize() method instead of
1.1's setSize(). If your applet has listeners, it may take more work
to convert them to 1.02 events, but it can be done.

Another way is to expect the users to have NS4.05+ and
IE4.0+ or even the Java Plugin, so you can be assured of
a 1.1 environment.

Bob

Kevin Swan

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
You can apply a patch to all versions of
Netscape after 4.0 which will add the AWT
classes necessary to do what you are doing.
You do not need to get a whole new version
of Netscape, nor do you need the Java Plugin.
Just go to developer.netscape.com, look in
the Java section, and get the AWT 1.1
SmartUpdate patch.

Kevin.

Pierre A. von Kaenel

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
I thought from what I've been reading in this NG, the best way to go is
to get Sun's plugin since Netscape has announced that it will not
continue to provide patch support in the future due to their limited
resources and the ever-coming parade of newer JDK releases. At any
rate, that's what I've done and my java applets run fine from the
server. But, according to Sun's literature, be sure to unisntall that
patch (or reinstall Netscape) before doing the plugin - the two don't
live together nicely. Also, get Sun's HTML converter - you need to have
it edit your html code so that the plugin works.
--
Pierre A. von Kaenel
Math & Computer Science Dept.