Java3D w/ Java Plugin Exception - HELP!

Jake Russell

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
Hi all, nice newsgroup you've got here!

I was wondering if anyone can help me with getting Java3d to work on my Win
'95 SP1 Machine with IE 4.01 SP1. I've installed OpenGL and GLU .DLL's in
my system directory and have verified they work with other software.

I've got JDK 1.2, JRE 1.2, Java3D JDK, and Java3dJRE installed, am to the
point where I can use the java command to see Java3d programs, use
appletviewer to see Java3d applets, but can't see the applets through the
web browser. I've used the 1.2 Applet Converter on my J3D demos, but once
the JVM starts on one of them it always comes up with the following
exception:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/media/j3d/SceneGraphObject
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:532)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:759)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:468)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

I've tried EVERYTHING and have been working at this for more than a week
with no luck. I've checked every possible resource I could find including
the J3D FAQs and J3D message board records, as well as Dejanews *java*
newsgroup searches with no luck to my problem.

The classpath=. I've tried lots of different combinations of directories
for my path. The 3d .JAR's and .DLL's seem to be everywhere. Tried
directing the plug-in runtime location to different places. I've tried all
I can and am getting pretty stumped!

BTW, I've also HTML-Converted the JDK1.2 Swing demo over to Java plug-in,
and it seems to run fine. So I guess the "basic" plug-in operation is
functioning.

If anyone can help, I'd be greatly appreciative!
Thanks,

Jake
UW CS

Jake Russell

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
I have finally found the source of my woes. The solution was hidden in the
README file of RUNTIME java3d (NOT in the JDK version of java3d, which I
have been installing because it comes with the examples!) So now ends my
week-long search for the answer. VERY, VERY, annoying, SUN!!! Shame shame
shame!!!

from the readme:
"NOTE: There is a bug in Java Plug-In that prevents standard extension
classes, such as Java 3D, from being loaded. Java Plug-In currently
looks only in the lib directory of c:\Program Files\JavaSoft\Jre\1.2
and fails to look in the lib\ext directory. The solution is to copy
the following four Java 3D jar files from
c:\Program Files\JavaSoft\Jre\1.2\lib\ext to
c:\Program Files\JavaSoft\Jre\1.2\lib:

j3daudio.jar
j3dcore.jar
j3dutils.jar
vecmath.jar"

Thanks for letting me vent. I hope I can save someone else my wasted time.

BTW - another BUG I've "discovered": installing JDK1.2 with JRE+plugin WILL
NOT install the plugin correctly - the browser will fail to be able to
launch it, and no "Java Plug-in Control Panel" shortcut appears in the
programs menu. Solution: select "no" when JDK asks to install JRE+plugin -
do it manually from the JRE installation file. Unless you want a useless,
redundant copy of JRE installed!

And for yet more ammo indicating the poor release quality of sun's new
products - the new 1.2 swing in the windows environment is really annoying
because whenever you move your mouse following a screenupdate it will
refresh garbage where the pointer was.

BTW, if anyone's looking for a good book on Java 1.2 including reference
material, for experienced Java programmers to bring you up to date on the
new stuff, I strongly recommend "Java 1.2 Unleashed." I just got it and so
far am very pleased - it seems it will prove itself to be very useful.

take care now,

Jake

Jake Russell <ja...@u.washington.edu> wrote in article
<01be5331$6b151800$3eac...@AJaker.u.washington.edu>...