Java Applets and Netscape

Chaman L. Sabharwal

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

When I write an applet,
it can run under nescape but not under jdk appletviewer or metrowerks
code warrior. Any help or hint will hep. Thanks in advance.

Chaman
^^^^^^_________________
Chaman L.Sabharwal \ Voice-mail: (314)516-5430
Prof. Computer Science \ Fax: (314)516-5434
Univ of Missouri- ROLLA \ E-mail: cha...@umr.edu
8001 Natural Bridge Road \ URL:http://www.umr.edu/~chaman
St. Louis, Missouri 63121 \_______________________________

Stern, just Stern

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

In <32DA9F...@umr.edu> "Chaman L. Sabharwal" <cha...@umr.edu> writes:

>When I write an applet,
>it can run under nescape but not under jdk appletviewer or metrowerks
>code warrior. Any help or hint will hep. Thanks in advance.

Is the applet in class files or in a zip file?

I have not been able to get the metrowerks VM to work with zip
files.

/stern
We'll add creationism to science
textbooks just as soon as you add http://www.panix.com/~stern/
Darwin to the Bible. st...@wheels.org

George Rome Borden IV

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

I could not get Netscape's Internet Foundation Classes to run properly, when using CodeWarrior 10's Metrowerks Java. They also don't work with MRJ, but they work fine in Netscape.

After compiling and running I consistantly got the following error.

Executing: javai sun.applet.AppletViewer /Appl/Network/Netscape%20Navigator%AA%20Folder/IFC10/examples/HelloWorld/Java%20Classes/HelloWorld.html
Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: netscape/util/Hashtable
at
at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass(ClassLoader.java:143)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:128)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:101)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:386)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:204)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:294)
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: netscape/util/Hashtable
at netscape.application.FoundationApplet.setAppletForGroup(FoundationApplet.java:29)
at netscape.application.FoundationApplet.init(FoundationApplet.java:59)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:259)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:294)
Completed(0)

All of the IFC's classes are in the Java Classes folder of the project folder, and I tried moving the html(codebase) to different locations with no change in the results.

I Assumed that the problem was that Metrowerks Java couldn't find the classes it needed even though they were all in the project folder, so looking around I noticed that MW Java locates its classes.zip file in the System Folder:Java:Classes folder, so I tried placing ifc_10.zip file into this folder, and I got a new error.

Executing: javai sun.applet.AppletViewer /Appl/Network/Netscape%20Navigator%AA%20Folder/IFC10/examples/HelloWorld/Java%20Classes/HelloWorld.html
java.lang.SecurityException
at sun.applet.AppletSecurity.checkPackageAccess(AppletSecurity.java:488)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:114)
at
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:386)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:204)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:294)
Completed(0)

This last error(java.lang.SecurityException) was solved by setting the class access flag in Metrowerks Java properties dialog box to Unrestricted. Now my code works.

Hope this helps.

George Borden
George Rome Borden IV
Assistant Supervisor
Sharp Corporation
Software Research Laboratories
Corporate Research and Development Group
2613-1, Ichinomoto-cho, Tenri
Nara 632, Japan
Tel: +81-7436-5-0987
Fax: +81-7436-5-2163