java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv in socket input stream read

Karen

Mar 28, 2002, 3:56:27 PM3/28/02
What does all this mean? It keeps on coming up at various times as I am
connecting to a server and retrieving their pages.

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv in socket input
stream read

at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(Native Method)

at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:86)

at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:67)

at java.io.InputStreamReader.fill(InputStreamReader.java:173)

at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:249)

at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:139)

at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:299)

at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:362)

Ken Kalish

Mar 29, 2002, 9:41:15 PM3/29/02
Karen, I believe this is typic ally due to the server closing the connection.
Perhaps the server is being overloaded or there might be some internal
problem.

You'll aslo see this sometimes when using a browser.

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:56:27 -0000, "Karen" <looking...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

--

Regards,

Ken Kalish

there is no Java cartel

Sven Thiergen

Apr 19, 2002, 8:37:20 AM4/19/02
> Karen, I believe this is typic ally due to the server closing the connection.
> Perhaps the server is being overloaded or there might be some internal
> problem.
>
> You'll aslo see this sometimes when using a browser.

I had the same problem and the now described solution solved it:

Check for "is.available() > 0" ("is" stands for
socket.getInputStream()) before reading anything via "is.read()".