Not able to run JDK1.3 applet in browsers

1 view

sarkar...@my-deja.com

Sep 28, 2000, 1:08:35 AM9/28/00

I am trying to run a Java 1.3 Swing applet in Netscape 4.6 or
Internet Explorer 5.5. When I load test.html in any of these
browser, I get the attached exception trace in popped up
"Java Console" window. For your information, I have put lowest
security settings in Internet Explorer 5.5. My OS is NT4.0 with
service pack 6. I have generated test.html by SUN's free tool
in order to enable Java1.3 plugin invocation.

What's wrong wit my environment. Why i am not able to execute
JDK1.3 swing applet with Java1.3 plugin to browsers? Is there
any browser settings i need to do?

Thanks,
Soumen.

Exception stack in "java console" window
Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.3.0-C
Using JRE version 1.3.0 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = D:\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator
Proxy Configuration: no proxy

JAR cache enabled.
(java.lang.RuntimePermission modifyThreadGroup)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown
Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown
Source)
at sun.applet.AppletSecurity.checkAccess(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ThreadGroup.checkAccess(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.init(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.<init>(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.TimerQueue.start(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.TimerQueue.<init>(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.TimerQueue.sharedInstance(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JApplet.<init>(Unknown Source)
at PurchaseApplet.<init>(PurchaseApplet.java:5)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Nils Olav Selåsdal

Sep 28, 2000, 2:04:28 AM9/28/00
Seems like your applet tries to do something illegal, unsigned applets are
not able to do everything.
You read/write to rour harddisk f.eks, in your code?

<sarkar...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

sarkar...@my-deja.com

Sep 28, 2000, 9:16:06 PM9/28/00
No, I am not trying to write anything to the disk. As I said, it works
if I drag-drop but does not work if I open file.

Thanks,
Soumen

In article <AdBA5.1590$o9.2...@news1.online.no>,

Nils Olav Selåsdal

Sep 29, 2000, 2:39:48 AM9/29/00

> No, I am not trying to write anything to the disk. As I said, it works
> if I drag-drop but does not work if I open file.
Cannot see you said that...
open file? isnt that reading from the harddisk or some other media ?
Seems to me you need a signed applet that are granted various permissions,
as you
see it's the securitymanager that's involved in the exception, so somewhere
in your code
you are violation the security settings,(which is managed by the plug-in,
not the browser)