Problem with JPEG images

Mehrva Rabii

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

I have an applet who look for images on Internet and I have a problem
with JPEG images (and no problem with GIFs).

I use the methode getImage and for the JPEGs I receive a message error :

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readImage at
sun.awt.image.JPEGImageDecoder.produceImage(JPEGImageDecoder.java:137)
at
sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.doFetch(InputStreamImageSource.java:265)

at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.fetchloop(ImageFetcher.java:151)
at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.run(ImageFetcher.java:127)

Anyone know where is the problem ?
Is it because Java don't know JPEGs or is there another problem ?

Thanks a lot.

Please respond me at mra...@di.epfl.ch

Mehrva

Markus W. Fehr

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

I got a similar problem with JPEG-Files. I realized, that Java is not able to
handle all kinds of variations, JPEG-Files can have. Therefore, I re-saved the
image with a different application and I got the image displayed. I also noticed
some errors with transparent GIF files...

Regards,
Markus

Robert Lynch

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Mehrva Rabii wrote:

> Hi,

> I have an applet who look for images on Internet and I have a problem
> with JPEG images (and no problem with GIFs).
>
> I use the methode getImage and for the JPEGs I receive a message error :
>
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readImage at
> sun.awt.image.JPEGImageDecoder.produceImage(JPEGImageDecoder.java:137)
> at
> sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.doFetch(InputStreamImageSource.java:265)
>
> at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.fetchloop(ImageFetcher.java:151)
> at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.run(ImageFetcher.java:127)
>
> Anyone know where is the problem ?
> Is it because Java don't know JPEGs or is there another problem ?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Please respond me at mra...@di.epfl.ch
>
> Mehrva

See the Java Programmer's FAQ:

http://www.best.com/~pvdl/javafaq.html#AWT and Related Topics

Q. 8.10 for solutions.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA USA-r...@best.com
http://www.best.com/~rmlynch/

Jason Day

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Adobe Photoshop v4 added the ability to save path information with JPEG
formats, and this option is selected by default. Java VMs have a problem
recognizing JPEGs with path information stored in them.

Hope this helps,
Jason

In article <34BF896F...@best.com>, Robert Lynch <rml...@best.com>
wrote:

--
Jason Logan Day jday "at" ixl "dot" com
iXL Interactive Excellence

"Whatever can go wrong, w%$@!@^^.. ...coredump"

Tom Lane

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

> Mehrva Rabii wrote:
>> I use the methode getImage and for the JPEGs I receive a message error :
>> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readImage at
>> sun.awt.image.JPEGImageDecoder.produceImage(JPEGImageDecoder.java:137)
>> [ etc ]

A number of people have mentioned the old AWT JPEG decoder bug documented
in the Java FAQ, but I think this may be something different. That bug
generally produces some variant of ImageFormatException. Rabii's
exception is UnsatisfiedLinkError, which sounds more like the JPEG decoder
is missing entirely --- ie, a misconfigured or incomplete installation.
I dunno enough about Java to nail down the exact problem...

regards, tom lane
organizer, Independent JPEG Group