error running Applet

Tom Bullers

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

I'm trying to run an applet from a web browser. It seems to work okay when
I play from a Mac in IE 4.5. However, if view the page in Windows NT and IE
5.0 the applet doesn't start and I get the following error messages in the
Java console.

I'm sure it has something to do with not having the right classes available.

I've installed the latest java plugin from Sun and can play some of their
applets, so I expect the problem has to do with making the right Quicktime
Classes available. My applet is to display streaming video.

I'm not sure what Quicktime classes I need and where they should be placed?
I epect the Quicktime classes need to be placed on the server so they can be
downloaded. Does the following error message give any indication what
classes needs to be where?

Thanks for your help.

-tom

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.2.2.px
Using JRE version 1.2.2
User home directory = D:\WINNT\Profiles\tbullers
Proxy Configuration: no proxy

JAR cache enabled.
Opening http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/qtsdk/QTStreamingApplet.class no proxy
CacheHandler file name: D:\WINNT\Profiles\tbullers\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\SKYRDUOB\QTStreamingApplet[1].class

Opening http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/qtsdk/PopupMenuButton.class no proxy
CacheHandler file name: D:\WINNT\Profiles\tbullers\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\SM7AQSTR\PopupMenuButton[1].class

Opening http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/qtsdk/IconButton.class no proxy
CacheHandler file name: D:\WINNT\Profiles\tbullers\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\T8UBHXL5\IconButton[1].class

Opening http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/qtsdk/quicktime/app/display/Drawable.class no
proxy
CacheHandler file name: null

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: quicktime/app/display/Drawable
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Steve Geach

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
to Tom Bullers
Have you got Quicktime installed in your browser ? IE doen't have it as standard
you will have to download and install. If this is the case I would expect the
error message are related to not being able to find the quicktime 'hook'.

Steve