NoSuchMethodError from appletviewer

Ron J Theriault

Aug 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/21/97

Why won't the JDK 1.1 appletviewer tell me *what* method of
*which* class it is looking for?? All I get for a diagnostic is:
"java.lang.NoSuchMethodError". Most irritating.

My applet works fine as an application, ('main' creates a frame,
and my applet object, adds the applet to the frame & calls start ().)
My Applet class is nested inside of a package.
Is there a bug involved here?

(Slightly) more diagnostic info:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:419)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:223)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

--
Ron Theriault : CS Department, Texas A&M Univ.
r...@cs.tamu.edu http://www.cs.tamu.edu/staff/ron

In a democracy you only have to fool a simple
majority of the people, at regular intervals.

Ron J Theriault

Aug 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/21/97

In article <5thj1m$qjc$1...@news.tamu.edu>, r...@cs.tamu.edu (Ron J Theriault) writes:

|> Why won't the JDK 1.1 appletviewer tell me *what* method of
|> *which* class it is looking for?? All I get for a diagnostic is:
|> "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError". Most irritating.

Found the problem myself. I had added a constructor to the
Applet for use by the 'main' method, which did not have the
default profile. Problem fixed by providing constructor:

public myApplet () { super (); }

Still it would have been nice for the appletviewer to tell
me what was going on.