Tomcat & JSP Problem

Simon Hall

Nov 23, 2001, 10:47:21 AM11/23/01
Hello,

I am having trouble getting tomcat to output results from a jsp.
Every time I try to access one I get the following error. Anybody got
any suggestions on this one?

Internal Servlet Error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile
Found 1 semantic error compiling
"C:/jakarta-tomcat-3.3/work/DEFAULT/knowware/jsp/SimpleJSP_1.java":

81.
((org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspWriterImpl)out).flushBuffer();

<---------------------------------------------------------->
*** Error: Method "void flushBuffer();" in class
"org/apache/jasper/runtime/JspWriterImpl" has protected or default
access. Therefore, it is not accessible in class "jsp/SimpleJSP_1"
which is in a different package.

at org.apache.tomcat.facade.JasperLiaison.javac(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.facade.JasperLiaison.processJspFile(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.facade.JspInterceptor.requestMap(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.processRequest(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Ajp13Interceptor.processConnection(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Unknown
Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Jon Skeet

Nov 23, 2001, 10:54:21 AM11/23/01
Simon Hall <simon...@transwareplc.com> wrote:
> I am having trouble getting tomcat to output results from a jsp.
> Every time I try to access one I get the following error. Anybody got
> any suggestions on this one?
>
> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile
> Found 1 semantic error compiling
> "C:/jakarta-tomcat-3.3/work/DEFAULT/knowware/jsp/SimpleJSP_1.java":
>
> 81.
> ((org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspWriterImpl)out).flushBuffer();
>
> <---------------------------------------------------------->
> *** Error: Method "void flushBuffer();" in class
> "org/apache/jasper/runtime/JspWriterImpl" has protected or default
> access. Therefore, it is not accessible in class "jsp/SimpleJSP_1"
> which is in a different package.

Well, does your jsp try to call flushBuffer?

--
Jon Skeet - <sk...@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

Simon Hall

Nov 26, 2001, 6:13:08 AM11/26/01
This is the jsp file - as simple as it gets really!

<%@page contentType="text/html"%>

<%-- <jsp:useBean id="beanInstanceName" scope="session"
class="package.class" /> --%>
<%-- <jsp:getProperty name="beanInstanceName" property="propertyName"
/> --%>
<%
out.println("<H1>SimpleJSP Test</H1>");
%>

Simon Hall

Nov 26, 2001, 7:23:51 AM11/26/01
No iot doesn't call flushBuffer().

It is a very simple jsp:

<%@page contentType="text/html"%>
<%

out.println("<H1>Hello World</H1>");
%>

I don't think it is caused from the jsp code itself. I'm thinking it
is from not having the server.xml / apps-xxxx.xml / web.xml set up
properly? Any hints on this?

Simon Hall

Nov 27, 2001, 11:27:05 AM11/27/01
< BUMP >

Michiel Konstapel

Nov 28, 2001, 5:46:51 PM11/28/01
"Simon Hall" <simon...@transwareplc.com> wrote in message
> < BUMP >

*looks puzzled*
< BUMP > ?
What's that mean? Just curious.
Michiel

Simon Hall

Dec 4, 2001, 5:27:40 AM12/4/01
I think I was meaning to <BUMP> it up the top of the list so get some
replies as it went un-noticed for a while.

Jon Skeet

Dec 4, 2001, 6:45:00 AM12/4/01
Simon Hall <simon...@transwareplc.com> wrote:
> I think I was meaning to <BUMP> it up the top of the list so get some
> replies as it went un-noticed for a while.

Unfortunately that's not how Usenet works. "The top of the list" is a
meaningless concept, as everyone will see it differently, and generally
speaking, if people don't answer your question it's because they don't
know the answer.