Applet tag and jar files

ma...@sunbelt.nawcad.navy.mil

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
I'm not sure if this is an HTML problem or a java applet problem, but
here goes....

I'm trying to load an applet using an applet tag. The code looks like:

<APPLET CODEBASE="/cgi-programs/jclasscharts/jclass/chart/scrolltm"
CODE="scrolltm.class" ARCHIVE="jcchart362.jar" WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=350>

<PARAM .......>
</APPLET>

It seems to load the scrolltm class ok, but not the jar file which is in
the same directory (on a sun solaris 2.6 system). I get the following
error in the java console :

java.io.IOException: <null>
at netscape.net.URLConnection.connect(Compiled Code)
at netscape.net.URLConnection.getInputStream(Compiled Code)
* at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.grabArchiveFile(Compiled Code)
at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.openArchive(Compiled Code)
at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.openArchive(Compiled Code)
at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.<init>(Compiled Code)
at netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.getClassLoader(Compiled Code)
at
netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$LoadAppletEvent.dispatch(Compiled
Code)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread$EventPump.dispatchEvents(Compiled
Code)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Compiled Code)
at
netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$AppletEventDispatchThread.run(Compile
d Code)
# Unable to load archive
http://postflight.sunbelt.nawcad.navy.mil:26000/cgi-programs/jclasschart
s/jclass/chart/scrolltm/jcchart362.jar: java.io.IOException: <null>
# Applet exception: class scrolltm could not be loaded

The second to the last full line is the key here. It says that it can't
load the archive file. Any ideas why not? I'm baffled. Any an all
input would help. Thanks

Matt Menard

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Paul Krier

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
The first thing that I would look at is whether or not the user the
HTTP server is running as has permissions to read the file.

pk

men...@my-deja.com

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
In article <82k05p$ur8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Thanks for replying...

I had checked the permissions, and actually opened up permissions to
everyone (for the jar file), giving read,write and execute to the
user,group and world (on our unix system)....