APPLET tag missing CODE parameter

jc...@ssg.ameritech.com

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
I have successfully implemented the Java Plug-in for several platform/browser
combinations. But I can't get it to work with Windows 95 and IE4.
Unfortunately, most of my end users will be using this platform/browser
combination.

The following combinations work fine.

NT 4.0, Navigator 4.5
NT 4.0, IE4
Windows 95, Navigator 4.5

But with Windows 95/IE4, I get the following error in the Java console:

APPLET tag missing CODE parameter

Here is my HTML

<OBJECT classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"width="800"
height="480" align="baseline"
codebase="http://xyz.company.com/jre12-win32.exe#Version=1,2,0,0">
<PARAM NAME="code" VALUE="MyApplet.class">
<PARAM NAME="codebase" VALUE=".">
<PARAM NAME="archive" VALUE="classes111.zip,MyJar.jar">
<PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.2">
<COMMENT>
<EMBED type="application/x-java-applet;version=1.2" width="800"
height="480" align="baseline" code="MyApplet.class"
codebase="."
archive="classes111.zip,MyJar.jar"
pluginspage="http://xyz.company.com/index.html">
<NOEMBED>
</COMMENT>
</OBJECT>

Here is the Java console output:

Java(TM) Plug-in
Using JRE version 1.2
User home directory = C:\WINDOWS
Proxy Configuration: no proxy
JAR cache enabled.
APPLET tag missing CODE parameter.
java.lang.NullPointerException: name
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.getEntry(ZipFile.java:97)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.getEntry(JarFile.java:150)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.getJarEntry(JarFile.java:146)
at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.getResource(URLClassPath.java:450)
at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getResource(Compiled Code)
at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getResource(URLClassPath.java:141)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.getBootstrapResource(ClassLoader.java:655)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResource(ClassLoader.java:561)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResourceAsStream(ClassLoader.java:722)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel$2.run(AppletPanel.java:540)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:537)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:759)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:468)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Manrique Murillo

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
That missing tag is: <applet> you could use something like:

<applet> <applet code="MyClass" width=100 height=100>
</applet>

That's the part I think you are missing the other things are in the APIS
documents.
Hope it works!

In article <7ak462$rrp$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

Manrique Murillo,
Costa Rica,
Electrical Engineering student.

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
jc...@ssg.ameritech.com writes:

> <PARAM NAME="code" VALUE="MyApplet.class">

Shouldn't this be a CODE attribute to OBJECT?

jc...@ssg.ameritech.com

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
In article <wkemnl5...@mail.online.no>,

The Java Plug-in HTML specs say this:

"Not all attributes in the APPLET tag can be mapped to the
OBJECT tag attributes. For example, the attributes code and
codebase in the APPLET tag are not mapped into the
OBJECT tag attribute. Instead, the attribute code is mapped
into the PARAM code because, according to the HTML
specification, the attribute code does not exist in the
OBJECT tag. There are other attributes that do not
correspond in the OBJECT tag attributes. These attributes,
with one exception, should be mapped to PARAM tags.

The one exception is the codebase attribute. In the APPLET
tag, the codebase attribute represents the location from
which to download additional class and jar files. However, in
the OBJECT tag, the codebase attribute represents the
location from which to download Java Plug-in when it is not
found on the local machine. Because the codebase attribute
has two different meanings in the APPLET and OBJECT tags,
you must resolve this conflict by mapping this attribute into
a PARAM codebase in the OBJECT tag."

Also, my implementation is working for the other platform/browser
combinations. Only the combination Win95/IE4 does not work. That implies to
me that there is nothing wrong with my HTML. Perhaps something within IE4 on
Windows 95. But I don't know.