Problems with web page

1 view

Momo Jeng

Mar 16, 2004, 2:53:51 PM3/16/04
I'm having a problem getting a particular Java applet to come up in
my web page. On my home computer, I have a directory with the class
files, and html page, and when I run the html document, with
appletviewer, or Mozilla, or Explorer, the applet starts
just fine. But when I move all the html file, and all the class
files to my server, it says "Applet ForcedDampedOscillator notinited,"
and "Loading Java applet failed. . ." (With either Mozilla or Explorer.)

The only imports I'm using are standard ones (java.awt.*,
java.awt.event.*, and javax.swing.*). Other similar Java applets,
using the same imports, have worked fine on the web page.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where the problem might be?
Where should I be looking?

Momo
(mj...@siue.edu -- the e-mail in the header is incorrect)

Rhino

Mar 16, 2004, 5:58:04 PM3/16/04

"Momo Jeng" <mo...@physics.ucsb.edu> wrote in message

To get details about why your applet is not initializing, have a look at the
Java console in your browser. In IE6, it is at Tools/Sun Java Console. I
don't know where it is in Netscape but I'm pretty sure you'll find it if you
just poke around a bit. The Java Console will have the exception and stack
trace, which should be very helpful in debugging your problem.

Also, please consider putting all your class files into a single jar and
adjusting the HTML to point to the jar. This can greatly simplify the task
of installing your applets.

Rhino

hiwa

Mar 16, 2004, 7:58:49 PM3/16/04
mo...@physics.ucsb.edu (Momo Jeng) wrote in message news:<b177fd68.0403...@posting.google.com>...

The codebase attribute of your applet tag may be wrong on the server directory.

Andrew Thompson

Mar 17, 2004, 12:02:11 AM3/17/04
On 16 Mar 2004 11:53:51 -0800, Momo Jeng wrote:

> I'm having a problem getting a particular Java applet to come up in
> my web page.

If you can't get a solution from the answers of
Rhino and hiwa, I suggest you give us an URL.

--
Andrew Thompson

Momo Jeng

Mar 22, 2004, 8:05:03 PM3/22/04
Andrew Thompson <SeeMy...@www.invalid> wrote in message news:<ap5ay2g3mbt9$.ivf0i88o...@40tude.net>...

> On 16 Mar 2004 11:53:51 -0800, Momo Jeng wrote:
>
> > I'm having a problem getting a particular Java applet to come up in
> > my web page.
>
> If you can't get a solution from the answers of
> Rhino and hiwa, I suggest you give us an URL.

The web page is

http://www.siue.edu/~mjeng/FDPendulum.html

Any help would be appreciated. Really, I want to figure out how to
figure out how to fix it, so if anyone has any general suggestions
as to what I should be thinking about or reading, that would
be great. I have been programming in java for some time now, but
this is my first experience making a web page.

As I understand it, the codebase tags can't be the problem, since I have
other applets in the exact same directory that use the same classes,
and run just fine:
http://www.siue.edu/~mjeng/Grav.html and
http://www.siue.edu/~mjeng/SHO.html

Thanks to Rhino and hiwa for their suggestions!

Momo

Dave Miller

Mar 22, 2004, 10:35:19 PM3/22/04
In article <b177fd68.04032...@posting.google.com>,
mo...@physics.ucsb.edu says...
When the applet starts (if you are using a computer with a GUI) a small
java logo will show in the corner of your screen. If you right click on
that logo you can open the java console which will show you the stack
trace for any JRE exceptions thrown. Your applet is throwing the
following:

java.lang.ClassFormatError: ForcedDampedOscillator (Illegal constant
pool type)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--
Dave Miller
FundablePlans - Create a custom business plan online - only $39.95