java calc

Pradyut Bhattacharya

Nov 11, 2006, 7:33:41 AM11/11/06
A java calculator
a jar file in dist_calc.zip
double click in windows, or run java -jar javaapplication7.jar
source files in javaapplication7.zip, unzipped will open as a netbeans
directory

Files here at: -
http://myjavaserver.com/~pradyut/files/java_calc/

reply ur comments n suggestions

--
Pradyut
http://pradyut.tk

Jhair Tocancipa Triana

Nov 12, 2006, 6:00:25 PM11/12/06
Pradyut Bhattacharya writes:

> java -jar javaapplication7.jar

I clicked ">" and following happened...

$ java -jar JavaApplication7.jar
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.util.NoSuchElementException
at java.util.Vector.lastElement(Vector.java:461)
at javaapplication7.NewJFrame.jButton2MouseClicked(NewJFrame.java:141)
at javaapplication7.NewJFrame.access$500(NewJFrame.java:16)
at javaapplication7.NewJFrame$6.mouseClicked(NewJFrame.java:82)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseClicked(AWTEventMulticaster.java:212)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5491)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3126)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3955)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2024)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4212)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3901)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3822)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2010)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

--
-- Jhair

Pradyut

Nov 12, 2006, 9:39:01 PM11/12/06
Jhair Tocancipa Triana wrote:
> Pradyut Bhattacharya writes:
>
> > java -jar javaapplication7.jar
>
> I clicked ">" and following happened...

upgrade to the latest jre... then try

Andrew Thompson

Nov 12, 2006, 11:02:46 PM11/12/06
Pradyut wrote:
> Jhair Tocancipa Triana wrote:
> > Pradyut Bhattacharya writes:
> >
> > > java -jar javaapplication7.jar
> >
> > I clicked ">" and following happened...
>
> upgrade to the latest jre... then try

I took one look at your original link and thought
'should suggest web-start' before surfing straight
out of there.

Now that you are making suggestions to your
potential end-users, and the people who were kind
enough to actually download and try the application
(of which, I wasn't), I will suggest..

'web-start'
- could forewarn the end user the minimum Java version
required (and prompt for download).
- sandbox this calculator (so it cannot do anything
harmful to the user's computer).

But while we are on the subject of minimum Java version,
a quick perusal of your GUI* did not suggest it requires
a high level of Java (I would guess Java 1.2) - what is in
your code that sets the minimum Java version? Generics?

* http://myjavaserver.com/~pradyut/files/java_calc/java_calc.JPG
BTW - the screenshot was a nice touch - good work.

Andrew T.

Pradyut

Nov 13, 2006, 2:13:36 PM11/13/06

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Pradyut wrote:
> > Jhair Tocancipa Triana wrote:

> > > I clicked ">" and following happened...
> >
> > upgrade to the latest jre... then try
>
> I took one look at your original link and thought
> 'should suggest web-start' before surfing straight
> out of there.
>
> Now that you are making suggestions to your
> potential end-users, and the people who were kind
> enough to actually download and try the application
> (of which, I wasn't), I will suggest..

you didn't try the app...
why are you kind enough to waste your replying to this thread...

> 'web-start'
> - could forewarn the end user the minimum Java version
> required (and prompt for download).
> - sandbox this calculator (so it cannot do anything
> harmful to the user's computer).
>
> But while we are on the subject of minimum Java version,
> a quick perusal of your GUI* did not suggest it requires
> a high level of Java (I would guess Java 1.2) - what is in
> your code that sets the minimum Java version? Generics?

As from the exceptions raised... it seems that there was a exception in
Vector class.
java.util.NoSuchElementFound exception...

> * http://myjavaserver.com/~pradyut/files/java_calc/java_calc.JPG
> BTW - the screenshot was a nice touch - good work.

Thanks...

> Andrew T.

Lew

Nov 13, 2006, 6:58:23 PM11/13/06
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> But while we are on the subject of minimum Java version,
>> a quick perusal of your GUI* did not suggest it requires
>> a high level of Java (I would guess Java 1.2) - what is in
>> your code that sets the minimum Java version? Generics?

This is a good question. What is the answer?

Pradyut wrote:
> As from the exceptions raised... it seems that there was a exception in
> Vector class.
> java.util.NoSuchElementFound exception...

NoSuchExceptionFound.

Do you mean java.util.NoSuchElementException?

Have you read
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/NoSuchElementException.html?

Under what circumstances does your code attempt to call
Enumeration.nextElement() after there are no more elements in the enumeration?

Would ArrayList and Iterator perhaps suit your algorithm better than Vector
and Enumeration?

- Lew

Andrew Thompson

Nov 13, 2006, 8:22:43 PM11/13/06
Pradyut wrote:

> you didn't try the app...
> why are you kind enough to waste your replying to this thread...
>
> > 'web-start'

Perhaps because more people (such as myself) might click
a link pointing to a sand-boxed web start application, which
is less effort than downloading, compiling and running code,
and a lot safer than running a jar from 'some guy on usenet'.

But then ..I do wonder why I am bothering to justify my
interest to you, since it (my interest) is fading quickly..

Andrew T.