Problem with RMI and rmiregistry on SCO

Paul Mahoney

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

Can anyone shed some light on the following, or perhaps given some advice
on how to track down the problem?

I have an RMI server test application I'm playing with. I first run
rmiregistry in the background and then run the server. The server
contains the line:

Naming.rebind("MyServer", new MyServer(url, props));

Now, I have two SCO 5.04 systems with the same JDK1.1
On my older and slower system the server runs without reporting any error.
On my newer and faster (pentium) machine I get the following error output:

java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Error creating connection
to: [xact:1099]; nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: Connection refused
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.openSocket(TCPChannel.java:242)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:125)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.newCall(UnicastRef.java:73)
at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.rebind(RegistryImpl_Stub.java:122)
at java.rmi.Naming.rebind(Naming.java:115)
at xact.myserver.MyServer.main(MyServer.java:133)

I get the same output on both machines if I don't first run rmiregistry.

So why might connections be rejected (persumably by the registry) on one
machine and not on the other? A "netstat -a" indicates the registry is
listening on port 1099...