Applet only runs on some servers

A. Mills

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
I have a JAR file copied onto two separate NT 4.0 Servers. On one server, I
am able to connect (via Netscape) to the applet and it runs fine. When I
try to connect to the same applet on a different server, the following error
appears in the Java console:

# Applet exception: error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
com/symantec/itools/awt/MaskedTextField
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/symantec/itools/awt/MaskedTextField
at PledgeNet2_Applet.<init>(Compiled Code)
at netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$LoadAppletEvent.dispatch(Compiled
Code)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread$EventPump.dispatchEvents(Compiled Code)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Compiled Code)
at
netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$AppletEventDispatchThread.run(Compiled
Code)

The applet was written in Visual Cafe 3.0 Database Edition. The directory
structures on both machines are identical. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.
Alisa Mills
ci...@erols.com

Roedy Green

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 15:36:00 -0400, "A. Mills" <ci...@erols.com> wrote
or quoted :

Symantec uses a number of proprietary classes that the general public
won't have on their classpath. You will have to pack them into your
jar, e.g. MaskedTextField.

The Java glossary is at http://mindprod.com
--
Roedy Green, Canadian Mind Products
Ready to take on new telecommute programming contracts.

-30-

Roedy Green

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:32:24 -0700, Roedy Green
<a1b8...@mail.bctel.ca> wrote or quoted :

>Symantec uses a number of proprietary classes that the general public
>won't have on their classpath. You will have to pack them into your
>jar, e.g. MaskedTextField.

Better still, preinstall them your client machines, and put them on
the classpath. They are a bit bulky to download with every dbaware
Applet.

A. Mills

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
Actually, that class is already in the JAR file. That's why I don't
understand what's going on. The requirement from our customer states that
they don't want to have to put anything on the client machine, so all of the
classes are packed into the JAR file. I just don't know why it works fine
on one server and not on another.

Alisa Mills
ci...@erols.com

Dan Woods

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
to A. Mills
One annoying problem I encountered on my web site with the
host provider I selected had a similar problem. They
mapped http://www.4loops.com to also work as
http://4loops.com (which many places do)
However, my applets only work if I use
http://www.4loops.com and not the other one.
It seems that http://4loops.com causes a security
problem with the applet sandbox.

Except this is only true for the applets which try to
read files (images, sound, text) from the server. For
applets (like on home page) which don't read anything,
using 4loops.com does work.

So imagine how frustrating it was to figure that one out :(
Anyways, I no longer advertise "4loops.com", I use
"www.4loops.com" instead... at least until I find a web
hosting company that does not have this problem.

Thanks...Dan

Tommy E. Cole, Jr.

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
Are they in the proper directory structure? For example com.sun.SomeClass
must be a file called SomeClass.class located in the com/sun directory.

--

Tom Cole, tc...@eclipsetel.com
Java Utilities to enhance your Java Applications!