FtpProtocolException not repeatable on another machine - please help

1 view

Bill Hibbard

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
I'm getting a mysterious FtpProtocolException on a Sun Ultra 10
running Solaris 2.6. I don't see this Exception when I run the
same code on another (identical?) Sun Ultra 10 running Solaris
2.6, so I suspect something wrong with the OS installation.
This happens when Java tries to open an ftp connection to a URL,
but I can open a connection to this same URL from the same
machine using ftp or netscape. Here's the Exception stack:

doll% jdb SatDisplay
Initializing jdb...
0xad:class(SatDisplay)
> run SatDisplay
running ...
main[1] URL = ftp://www.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/visad-2.0/OUTLSUPW
sun.net.ftp.FtpProtocolException: RETR /pub/visad-2.0/OUTLSUPW
at sun.net.ftp.FtpClient.openDataConnection(FtpClient.java:228)
at sun.net.ftp.FtpClient.get(FtpClient.java:319)
at sun.net.www.protocol.ftp.FtpURLConnection.getInputStream(FtpURLConnection.java:112)
at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:818)
at visad.data.mcidas.BaseMapAdapter.<init>(BaseMapAdapter.java:80)
at SatDisplay.<init>(SatDisplay.java:55)
at SatDisplay.main(SatDisplay.java:155)
at sun.tools.agent.MainThread.runMain(Native Method)
at sun.tools.agent.MainThread.run(MainThread.java:49)

and here's the output of 'uname -a':

doll% uname -a
SunOS doll 5.6 Generic_105181-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Bill Hibbard
hib...@facstaff.wisc.edu